Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Harsh delayed shift into drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:21 PM
RHS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harsh delayed shift into drive

My 2002 S60 with 116K, has developed a delayed very harsh shift from reverse to drive. It's gotten worse in the last few weeks.

Today, I replaced the top motor mount, which was shot. The idle difference was huge. It almost felt like a new car (thanks to everyone's info on Volvo Forums, giving me the confidence and info)

I still have a harsh shift... I watched the engine as my g.f. shifted between reverse - pause - neutral - pause - drive. The engine jumps a lot as it is going into gears

Is this the lower torque mount gone bad, or should I be looking at something else? I know I should crawl under the car and take a look myself (Mr Obvious).

Is the lower torque mount something that a non-mechanic can fix as well?

thanks

Old 05-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Check the mount first you might have a bad mount and tranny issue as well.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:54 PM
JP

I recently began to experience that, but only after being driven in a lot of stop and go (city) and such. I have since changed the tranny fluid and haven't noticed that... yet.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:56 PM

The Lower torque mount can easily be replaced. A couple of sockets and elbow grease (breaker bar is a nice to have). Torque wrench to tighten to spec is also nice to have.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 PM
RHS

I got under the car the other day and looked at the lower torque mounting. I am guessing your not supposed to be able to see thru the back of the back bushing, and the front of the front bushing

New part due in tomorrow. Hopefully that takes care of the shift-lash, if not I'll be looking for more help.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:06 PM

Hey RHS

My "new" 2002 S60 is doing the same thing. How did the new torque mount go? Did it help with the shift lash?

John

Old 07-20-2009, 06:20 AM
RHS

Well, the old one was definitely shot. Replacement wasn't difficult, took my time. There's been about an 80% improvement in the shifting.

Last edited by RHS; 07-20-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:15 PM

Hello,
I am having issues with my 2002 S60 Volvo. My S60 has been having an intermittent problem with the transmission for the last couple of years. The car currently has about 72,000 miles on it. We had the transmission replaced last year and still have the same issues. The problem is that the car will shift hard when slowing down into second and first, and slips when accelerating from second to third, then will lurch and clunk when it finds the gear. The car can drive fine for a few days then have the issues pop up. I have taken the car into the dealer (Herzog Meier) a few times with no resolution to the problem. They have done software downloads twice with no results. I just had the car at the dealer and they cannot fine anything wrong. I have given them error codes that I have taken when the car has acted up but they do nothing. I have read on the internet this is a common problem with this year and model. I did install the Lower Transmission mount from IPD a few months ago. It drove more solid but did not fix the issue. Your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
Long time Volvo owner since 1981 (240 wagon, 240 sedan, & S60)

Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by bstager
Hello,
I am having issues with my 2002 S60 Volvo. My S60 has been having an intermittent problem with the transmission for the last couple of years. The car currently has about 72,000 miles on it. We had the transmission replaced last year and still have the same issues. The problem is that the car will shift hard when slowing down into second and first, and slips when accelerating from second to third, then will lurch and clunk when it finds the gear. The car can drive fine for a few days then have the issues pop up. I have taken the car into the dealer (Herzog Meier) a few times with no resolution to the problem. They have done software downloads twice with no results. I just had the car at the dealer and they cannot fine anything wrong. I have given them error codes that I have taken when the car has acted up but they do nothing. I have read on the internet this is a common problem with this year and model. I did install the Lower Transmission mount from IPD a few months ago. It drove more solid but did not fix the issue. Your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
Long time Volvo owner since 1981 (240 wagon, 240 sedan, & S60)
Did you have the transmission replaced by a Volvo dealer? If not, I'm wondering if the correct transmission fluid was used in the replacement transmission. These transmissions are kind of touchy and require a special trans fluid from the Volvo dealer or Mobil 3309 trans fluid (lot cheaper)........don't substitute with another non-spec fluid whether synthetic or other special fluids since that can kill the transmission. You might want to confirm the correct fluid was use, or to play it safe, drain the fluid and replace with the right spec'd fluid. Some folks have noticed a shifting improvement with their transmissions just by changing the trans fluid. I did so on my 2001 V70 (same engine and transmission as the S60s) when the fluid was drained/refilled at the 105,000 mileage point and after reading all the postings on this forum in the S60 and V70 sections, I plan on draining/refilling my trans fluid every 30,000 miles hereafter.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Default S60 Transmission issues, 2002

Checking the oil spec may be a good idea. I had the tranny changed out by the Volvo dealer on warranty. But these guys first put in the wrong transmission an only found out that they made a mistake when the down load of software would not upload. They had to order another transmission, based on that maybe they could have done other mistakes as well. Prior to the S60 I had a 240 Wagon and a 240 sedan, I did all my own work and both of these cars I drove for over 200K+ miles. The S60 is not Like the old 240s. Base on my research the Volvo dealers just jack you around when you bring in your car. If I had it my way I would do all the work myself. But they make it very difficult to troubleshoot a lot of engine and tranny issues.

Thanks!