Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hit 100,000 miles and it's falling apart!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hit 100,000 miles and it's falling apart!

I've had my 2002 Volvo S60 T for four years and managed to put 80,000 miles on it. I got my High Mileage Club sticker and now everything is falling apart.
Trannie is slipping, car smells like gas when I run the air, broken right axle, suddenly started pulling to the right.... I could go on and on. I still love my car but cried myself to sleep last night out of pure frustration. I of course owe way more than it is even worth at this point. I don't know what I'm asking...just needed to put it out into the Volvo Universe....

Old 08-11-2010, 05:55 PM

Forgot one thing...every summer when it gets hot, the right front "area" maybe the tire has a whistling noise that happens. Last for seconds sometimes minutes. Braking or exhilaration doesn't help. Even happens with the car off.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:57 PM

OH AND ANOTHER THING!! The radio changes channels on it on randomly. The screen has been bugging out for some time but now it actually changes stations....

Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 PM

Same thing happened with my '02 S60, except mine started at about 80K miles (new trans, new front suspension, new sensors...)...luckily it was warrantied until 100K miles... but after that I was screwed. I got up to 130K miles on it and traded it in last week with TONS of new parts on it, and TONS of problems remaining. I loved that car, and I do miss it, but I'm glad to be rid of all of the "module" problems.

Oh yeah, and I was about $5K upside down on my loan too, but my payment on my new car went down significantly. My new Avenger isn't half the car that my Volvo was, but it's got a lifetime unlimited mileage warranty, and piece of mind counts for a lot.

Adam

Old 08-12-2010, 02:16 PM

Thanks Adam. Yeah, I just got the call, new transmission. $4800 on a car worth $6. Cried for 10 minutes and then sucked it up and told them to go ahead and replace it. I probably should just trade it in... It was an amazing car up until a month ago.
UGH!

Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Yeah, I'd trade it in if I were in your shoes. I got $3500 for trade-in at a Chrysler dealership for mine and it had every warning light on the dash lit up.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01-02 MY are known to have bad tranny. Change your ATF w/ JWS 3309 - total flush if possible then observe if there's any improvement. If none, go to dealer and inquire about a software upgrade for your car. It should be free. Also have your fuel pump checked cuz there's a recall on those. Yours prob. is cracked and needs replacement so do it asap. Check all your fuses then check your battery ground. Clean all battery terminals and all ground connections.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 AM

I feel your pain.

My nephew bought his '01 S-60 T5 new,and up until last month had spent over $18,000 on dealer and independent shop maintenance on the 103,000 miles of ownership (I know because I have the receipts in front of me).

The common things were lower control arms, complete tie rod assemblies, upper strut bushings, motor mounts, alternator, transmission, window regulator (over $1000 total because the window chipped, and the glass alone was $450), and of course, routine maintenance. Don't discount "routine maintenance," because the dealer charged over $1600 for just the timing belt change, and wanted an additional $700 to do the water pump at the same time (they said even though they were "in there," doing the timing belt, each job is book-priced as if they need to disassemble the vehicle from scratch. Evan the serpentine belt was almost $200, because though they had the old one OFF, and replacing it was part of the timing belt change, if he wanted a new one substituted for the old one, it was a "new job."

Long story short, I bought the car for $3000 in great condition (that's what CarMax said the car was worth), and now only 200mi into ownership one front axle CV joint is bad. Naturally the dealer wants over $1500 to replace the axles, though I am going to tackle the job myself.

My previous Volvos (240s going to the mid-1960s, 965, and a 740 I still have) were bullet proof. The total repairs to my 740 in 107k have been to replace the OD Lockout relay, and to fashion a spring from piano wire to repair the driver's side door lock (the dealer wanted $1600 to replace ALL door locks and latches, not understanding (or perhaps understanding all too well) that the problem was all in the master lock in the driver's door).

If Volvo is not careful, they will completely ruin a reputation they spent decades building. Perhaps now that brands are bought and sold *****-nilly by "investors,", there is no real commitment on any company's part to maintain quality. I don't know, but I seem to be seeing the same thing in other car brands as well, so it isn't probably just Volvo, but it's sad none the less.

Bob

Last edited by bobinyelm; 08-15-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:14 PM

+1 on that Bob. These cars are not for the diy'ers cuz repairs could blow a big hole in your pocket. Why does Volvo have to make their emission system too complex? Why don't they just stick to trouble free parts or technology and not keep on upgrading to the detrement of quality? People will eventually shy away from Volvos if problems crop up at an alarming rate. I have made that decision and will stick w/ toyota because our hi mileage toyotas have been very reliable w/ only minor problems. They may not be as fun to drive like my S60 but I have peace of mind knowing they'll stay away from the repair shop.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:19 PM

..let's hope that the later model years are not as bad! I still have 2 years of warranty left on mine, but reading this does not make me want to keep it any longer than that!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by HwyRogue
..let's hope that the later model years are not as bad! I still have 2 years of warranty left on mine, but reading this does not make me want to keep it any longer than that!
I had a 2004 S60 NA for 5 years and never had a single problem with it. My aunt has a 2001 S60 with >200k that has been mostly problem free.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 AM

I'm pushing 200k now and i have to do a complete front end revamp. The suspension feels really sloppy now. The wheel hubs need replacing, the engine is sputtering like crazy, (i think its the Coils). Right side xenon headlight assembly needs replacing cause a stone hit it and Volvo wants $2500 to replace it. the Fiance is on my A$$ about the car. I love my S60 but geez, has et ever been an uphill struggle to keep this car on the road. I get a 10% discount at a dealership i go to and still everytime i take the car in im spending at least $1500. When i first got the car i was under the immpression that volvo's were good cars, but in my experiance I've paid $15000 for my 04 and have spent $10k in repairs and upkeep. I got the car with 100k on it in january 08. Some how i dont think i should have spent that much on repairs.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 AM

What I meant was that these cars ARE FOR the diy'ers who can work on their own cars. I used to have a 83 240 base model and got 333k miles on it before it overheated cuz the cylinder head gasket rotted away and leaked water all over. Dumped the car but it was almost trouble free until that fateful morning. They don't make volvos like they used to ever since ford came onboard.

Last edited by Manu Noypi; 08-16-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 AM

Matamoris, your aunt just got lucky w/ her 01 cuz a lot of 01-02 had a tranny prob. They were a nightmare and a lot of people could attest to that. So for those prospective volvo buyers out there, go for the 03 or newer. Volvos are fun to drive but could bankrupt ur piggy bank if u rely on the money hungry dealers for service. A poster on the other forum quotes "I drive a Volvo not because I can afford it but because I love to drive it"

Last edited by Manu Noypi; 08-16-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Thank you all for your feedback. I loved my Volvo but I couldn't continue down that road. Thanks Adam for the final push..
Traded it in on Friday for a 2010 Camry. Let's hope his was a better choice. Carmax wanted to give me only $2500.00 for the Volvo so took it to Toyota and they said $4 k without even looking at it. I had no choice but to take it since the tranny was blown and they had no idea.
I hope to one day have another Volvo, but they need to figure out these issues before it's all too late..
Thanks again!

Old 08-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Nice choice Whitney. I'm pretty sure u'll have peace of mind w/ the Camry.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:13 AM

It seems most of the higher-end cars from Europe (MB, BMW, Audi, Volvo, Jaguar, Range Rover) are wonderful and responsive cars, but become unmanageable maintenance hogs after the new wears off.

A best friend has an independent import shop in the Pacific NW and relates stories of typical absurd techniques and bills to keep them on the road. He LOVES the cars (they are paying for a very nice lifestyle), but he drives a Toyota Tacoma.

One recent example I saw? How about a BMW SUV w/ a thermostat (should be a $7-10 item, right?) that is electronic, and is part of a $200 plastic assembly (the individual thermostat is NOT replaceable by itself) that fails after 5 years if it hasn't already cracked in 3 years? Or components such as alternators, power steering pumps that will ONLY function in the vehicle if the computer is taught to recognize the by re-flashing it with a VERY expensive tool. Or a MB dealer that charges $100 for an "oil change" (oil and filter) leaving the "Service Light" flashing unless the owner has paid $150 for an "Oil Service." (oil, filter, and light reset)

European manufacturers will kill themselves off eventually unless they realize that people will only lease their vehicles (most people cannot afford to buy them) unless there is a market for the used cars that result down the road from the leases.

My cousin and her foo-foo cosmetic dentist husband have over $40,000* in receipts from their two Range Rovers (which they decided to keep after the warranty expired). They have vowed never to buy another. They are probably not alone.

Bob
*That's not that much more than my nephew has, at $18,000, from the S-60 I just bought from him. Pretty sad when a low-end Volvo is as expensive as a Range Rover to keep on the road!

Last edited by bobinyelm; 08-17-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by whit262002
Thank you all for your feedback. I loved my Volvo but I couldn't continue down that road. Thanks Adam for the final push..
Traded it in on Friday for a 2010 Camry. Let's hope his was a better choice. Carmax wanted to give me only $2500.00 for the Volvo so took it to Toyota and they said $4 k without even looking at it. I had no choice but to take it since the tranny was blown and they had no idea.
I hope to one day have another Volvo, but they need to figure out these issues before it's all too late..
Thanks again!
I hope your new car treats you better! Good Luck!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:01 PM

Thanks Adam.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:11 AM

I think you guys that are paying these outrageous service charges are either severely exagerating, or getting robbed. I would count on the first, but the second is possible if you look to have more money then brains to the mechanic.

Timing belts certainly do not cost $1600+ to replace and they wont charge you another $200 for a serpantine belt.
All Volvo prices I have seen from the dealer is $600-800 for timing belt install. You can get the parts online for $130 and do it yourself.

$1500 for a headlight replacement??? Go online or junkyard and get a new fixture for like $150 or so.

Anything I have called Volvo for parts and service wise has been extremely fair in general, let alone for a Premium brand car. You just have to have common sense. If you have no clue and dont know otherwise you are going to get taken. T
This is America. Its the American way right? lol

Quick Reply: Hit 100,000 miles and it's falling apart!