Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

How do you like your S60?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you like your S60?

How's your S60? T5? or R? Complaints?

Old 09-20-2004, 07:52 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: How do you like your S60?

The S60 is a lillte better than the S40 so i would go with the S60

Old 09-22-2004, 08:37 PM

The S60 is a heck of a nice car! Especially the R! It is a little more pricey than the new S40, which is really a great deal for what you get. The V50 is also a nice sportwagon-type of car, I saw one on the road today, but personally the S60 T5 or possibly the R is what I would go with.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:20 AM
Rey

I've put a few miles on an '02 S60 AWD.

It's a very nice car -- just depends on your wants/needs in a vehicle.

My only complaints are too much torque steer, too soft a suspension, and the manual shifts on the Geartronic are too slow and vague.

I did test drive the R recently, however, and if you can spare the extra cash, it is worth the difference.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:27 PM

Rey, how is the "S60 R" shifting different than the non "R" if they are both equipped with the Geartronic transmission? Where you praising the "R" with the 6-speed manual? I'm really, really curious about this. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Rey

Hi Marc,

The AWD and R S60s I've driven were both automatic.

The shifting on the R's Geartronic is crisper and more aggressive, both in fully automatic and in manual shifting modes.

Both transmissions have adaptive memories that "remember" your style of driving and shift accordingly, but on the R series the transmission has also a sport mode, if I recall correctly. In this mode, the shift points are higher in the rpm range, providing better acceleration. The mode is enabled through its own button on the base of the shift **** console or as part of the variable suspension setting when you select the sport or advanced suspension mode.

If you buy an R series with automatic transmission, however, you are losing some horsepower or torque versus the manual transmission. For some reason on the R, there is a large difference in power between the auto and stick versions, more so than you would normally except.

In my opinion, the S60 R is one of the best values in sports sedans, period. You won't outaccelerate a BMW M3 or an Audi S4, but for $15k less the R series stops shorter, gives you a 3-way variable suspension, has an active anti-roll mechanism, and a more advanced AWD system than the Quattro, and you're still going 0-60 in around 6 seconds. Not to mention the the S60 chasis, which for my taste is gorgeous.

I remember my dealer saying it would be priced at around $50k before he got his first one in, but Volvo has had trouble selling the sport tuned R Series to its usually conservative, family oriented, safety-seeking demographic. Last I checked, they were selling in the mid $40k range.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:30 PM

Rey,

My wife and I are going to Volvo of Nashville tomorrow for a drive of the S40 with the geartronic tranny. I'll let you know how it compares to our Lexus. I'm counting on experiencing a better performing transmission. I'll let everyone here know afterwards.

Old 09-25-2004, 12:06 AM
Rey

Hi Marc,

Don't know much about the Lexus brand, other than they always clean up in the initial quality, customer satisfaction, and reliability ratings.

I notice yours is a 2004 -- may I ask why you are looking to sell or trade it so soon?

The S40 is completely redesigned and hopefully will have a better version of the Geartronic than the 2002 S60 AWD does. Try to go for a test drive of the S60 R, if they have one available, and play around with the different transmission and suspension settings -- lots of fun.

Enjoy!

Old 09-25-2004, 11:40 PM

Well, after reviewing the brochures, web-sites, and our RX330 specs, we put off the dealer today. [sm=smiley29.gif] Seems our RX is somewhat roomier than the S40/V50 and S60. The decision to replace the Lexus is a matter of what we are willing to give up - which at this time we have to be very careful to not make a hasty decision. All are gorgeous looking cars but as we compare them to the RX, the RX really has a lot of features.

The issues that prompted us to look for a replacement are the front passenger's seat lack of adjustability - no lumbar and the seat only tilts and slides fore and aft. It is also fixed way to high with the vertical height. The other is the way the 5-speed transmission changes gears too early, delays in slecting a gear after slowing and then accelerating again, down-shifting clunks (mild). Lately, I've been doing the shifting between 3rd, 4th and 5th - not changing with less than 3000 RPMs. The adaptive learning ability of this transmission is allowing this 5-speed to work better for me. Some issues won't be rectified but I believe all vehicles have some sort of quirkiness.

So...what to do now? I think we'll just wait a bit until the dealer has an S60R on his lot and then go down there. We may be able to compromise with that model.

In the mean time....

Old 10-23-2004, 07:11 PM

Marc,

Let us know how things workout when you purchase your S60.

Morgan[8D]

Old 10-23-2004, 08:09 PM

To my mind, one of the coolest things about the S60 is that manual shifter. It just oozes cool.

Had the opportunity to drive an R at the dealership here a few months back and all I can say is FANTASTIC! I used to be an Audi guy. I say used...

If I had the means, the S60R would be my choice, hands down.

Old 10-23-2004, 08:56 PM
Administrator

I agree 100% i've driven half a dozen of them and they are the coolest.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:16 AM

I am looking at a 2003 S60 AWD. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this car. It has the automatic...

The dealer droped from 27,800.00 to 24,600....for me It seamed too easy. Is it too good to be true.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Was it a Demo or something like that?How many miles are on it? Or the other thing is the car might have sat on the lot for more than 3 months.If it does they have to pay a fee for it to be there.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:48 AM

It has 18000 miles on it. The car fax shows 2 owners not sure if the last one is the dealership. It does look like it has been on the lot since October. Also the car fax shows no wrecks or major repaiors however there is a small bottle of paint in the glove box.

I want the care but dont want to get screw....

Thanks for your help

Old 01-17-2005, 01:15 AM
Administrator

Sounds like a pretty good price for it.If you want to be safe ask if you can take it to your mechanic and have him look it over.Find a place that knows Volvo's and have them look it over for you.Most of the time they will charge you 1 hour to look it over.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:57 PM

I have a 2002 S60 T5 and it rocks! I thought my 1990 760 Turbo was fast
but this T5 really is something else. Plus having the 17" wheels really hugs
the roads. The T5 also comes with DSTC. That gives you even more control.
I was driving, and then looked at the speedometer. I thought I was doing 55, and
I was really doing 80!!.

DSTC = Dynamic Stability Traction Control

Only bad thing is the tires. I am getting rid of those crap P6. I am
getting Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S. I have heard really good things about
them.

I use to be married, and had a brother in law who was a Master
Mechanic for Volvo. Man do I miss those labor free repairs. [:@]

Old 01-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Administrator

You might want to look into the Michelin Pilot they are also awesome tires and usually last longer than the pirelli's

Old 03-07-2005, 07:43 PM

Am very disappointed in the human engineering not done by Volvo. I've recently made two posts under "Krujo", the first was the idiotic way they put the spare tire in the trunk so you can never check it without a special adapter or take it out of the trunk. The second is the method that automatically makes the seat adjustments, but then requires you to turn on the key and hold the adjustment button down to make the mirror adjustment. I know that Detroit pulls stuff like this, but I thought Volvo would be better. Only had the car two months and unless things improve, I'd never buy another.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:52 AM

I have a 2001 volvo S60, and it has several problems, the worst being the automatic transmission problem. When it shifts from 1st to 2nd, it sometimes slips and the engine revs up and the car lags and it scares me every time. I have taken it in for repair twice, but it still happens. (The dealer/repair shop installed a software upgrade twice, and now they want to try replacing the PC board. ) Also, the car radio sounds muffled, and the speakers have an annoying vibration sound. I always bought Volvos and loved them, but after this one, I think I will try something else.
Maybe the newer S60s are better. Good luck.

Holly

Quick Reply: How do you like your S60?