Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

I need my A/C expansion valve and dryer replaced...should i tackle it myself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 PM
JAP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post I need my A/C expansion valve and dryer replaced...should i tackle it myself?

The total is over $900, which I can prob afford but a little difficult with three kids. I am pretty handy with the tools, and have the time as I am a teacher, but should I take this on? First, I have not been able to find the steps to complete this endeavour. I guess if someone has a link to this repair process I would seriously consider it. The repair shop is capturing the 134 for me in case I decide to do it myself. I have about two days to decide, any help would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The dryer is a major pain to do. The Non turbo is easier but the turbo ones are a pain. The expansion valve can be a pain as well. There is small allen head screws holding the block on the car. I have seen people strip them trying to get them loose.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Problem

Hello Tech, It is me mstrplmber with another problem. When I start the car even in the heat of the day the air is very cold, however occassionally it starts getting warmer. If I stop and restart the car, say after 5 minutes it blows cold again. I have tried turning the temp controls to hot then back to cold which doesn't really help. I have a 2001 Volvo S60 2.4T. I have read a thread you posted in 2007 about shimming the clutch, the indie mechanic I spoke with says I need the compressor along with the other parts that go with the air conditioning. You have helped me a great deal in the past which If I didn't tell you was very much appreciated. I hope you can give me some advice on this issue as well. Volvo quoted me $652.52 for the compressor and $350 for labor. Would you think that included everything needed to fix the problem or could it be something simple. Thanks in advance. mstrplmber

Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrplmber
Hello Tech, It is me mstrplmber with another problem. When I start the car even in the heat of the day the air is very cold, however occassionally it starts getting warmer. If I stop and restart the car, say after 5 minutes it blows cold again. I have tried turning the temp controls to hot then back to cold which doesn't really help. I have a 2001 Volvo S60 2.4T. I have read a thread you posted in 2007 about shimming the clutch, the indie mechanic I spoke with says I need the compressor along with the other parts that go with the air conditioning. You have helped me a great deal in the past which If I didn't tell you was very much appreciated. I hope you can give me some advice on this issue as well. Volvo quoted me $652.52 for the compressor and $350 for labor. Would you think that included everything needed to fix the problem or could it be something simple. Thanks in advance. mstrplmber
I would try the reshim first. If you want to continue please start a post for your car.