Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Intermittent failure door locking S60

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent failure door locking S60

Central locking system works most of the time from the key fob. When it doesn't I have to insert the key in the ignition, turn it and then the doors lock.

Can anyone tell me where the central sensor unit is ?
Thanks, Mark

Old 03-12-2014, 06:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe someone else can since I can't, but are you sure it is not a weak battery or intermittently working remote? It has been my experience (general across all brands) that intermittent issues with remote fobs is usually a weak battery or a fob issue. Put a new battery in your fob(s) and/or use your 2nd fob if you have one, also changing that battery, and see if that clears it up before you go digging into the car side of the system. Or maybe you have already done that?

Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. The problem defintely sounds as you describe. I've tried changing the battery perhaps not on the second key fob but that gave the same result as the first key fob with intermittent locking problems. So two dud batteries ? I'll change both batteries and try again just to rule that out.

/Mark

Old 03-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calmab
Thanks for your reply. The problem defintely sounds as you describe. I've tried changing the battery perhaps not on the second key fob but that gave the same result as the first key fob with intermittent locking problems. So two dud batteries ? I'll change both batteries and try again just to rule that out.

/Mark
Funny story and my most recent issue with a remote key fob. Had a similar issue with my MIL's '09 Honda Accord when it was less than 3 years old and less than 10K miles. Same story as yours. Neither remote gave predictable results on a regular basis and since it was about to go out of warranty I called the dealer to schedule an appointment. The service writer heard my description and recommended changing the batteries in the interest of eliminating that before spending a couple of hours driving to the dealer and waiting in the lounge, especially since those batteries were not a warrantable item. I was skeptical because the remotes for my '06 Odyssey with 160K were still on the original batteries, but agreed with the idea of saving a couple of hours and paying a diagnostic fee and dealer price for batteries if it was battery related. Popped a new battery into both remotes and everything has worked perfectly since. In your case it is a matter of eliminating the easiest and cheapest possibilities first. Good luck!