Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Intermittent starting problems, computer reports vss signal intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting problems, computer reports vss signal intermittent

Hi,

I have a 95 Volvo GLT non turbo stick shift wagon that will sometimes die out for no apparent reason, won't start, and if I wait 10 minutes/pray to the volvo gods, it'll start up again.

I took the car to the mechanic, he did a thorough tune up, but couldn't find any issues. The car had a small oil leak around the cam sensor, but the mechanic sealed it up and says it shouldn't be an issue, this was about a year ago... the starting issue is happening now.

Does anyone know what the VSS is? What can be causing this problem? What should I replace?

thanks,
jon

Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 PM
fig

Wish i could help but i'm having simular problem...wouldn't start, changed, plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, cooling temp sensor...ok couple of days then it didn't start again...replaced cam sensor, the car now starts but runs very rough so i'm no further ahead, i need advice as well

Old 01-25-2010, 10:15 PM

So i got an email from a mechanic who said that it's probably one or two different sensors, i.e. the speed sensor or the RPM sensor, he recommended replacing both. I just ordered the RPM sensor, but where is the speed sensor located?

Also, with your rough idle, i heard that you may have it installed incorrectly.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 PM

Ok... Update

I replaced the RPM sensor... not too hard to replace, car started. Seemed fine... than the car began to sputter just after it got warm, check engine light came on intermittently and finally died. Car seems to die when I'm giving it gas...

weird..? Are there any other sensors I need to replace?

Old 01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Default Resolution: Issue Fixed!

So far I had the RPM Sensor and the cam shaft sensors replaced. No luck. I decided to go to a reputable indi volvo mechanic here in SF. They said it was due to corroded connections between the sensor and the little connector that you plug it into. I will admit, when I replaced the RPM sensor myself, it was all green looking on the contacts; but didn't think much of it and didn't bother to clean it. The mechanic aslo said that the positive cable to the battery could use a replacement as well, so i did it.

Car works.

Bottom line: Clean your blasted connectors, check for the simplest things first. If it looks green and nasty, clean the blasted thing.