Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter

Does anybody have any experience or advice for K&N air filters for an S60?

For example:

1. Do they improve fuel economy and/or performance?
  2. Do they in any way harm the engine, for example, by letting through more particles than a regular paper filter?
Curious if these are worth it or not.

Thanks

Old 04-07-2010, 08:43 AM
RGT

I don't have direct experience but when I was driving a diesel pick-up and active in a forum for them there were several people who tried them and then removed them after getting bad oil samples back, meaning there was silica or road grit in the samples. When they switched back to a standard type of filter the oil samples cleaned up. Diesel engines move a lot more air than gasoline engines do. I realize most people with gasoline powered cars don't have their engine's oil analyzed so that sort of information on gas engines is not normally available, So it is not to say that they would not work fine on your car. I have heard complaints that people who have used permanent type filters that require you to oil them have had problems with their air mass sensors. Personally I would not risk using a non stock type filter for everyday use, I might throw it on for a day at the races to see if there were some power to be gained. When you think about it how much time do you really spend with the throttle wide open? that is the only time you would realize any benefit, (imo) as the rest of the time the biggest restriction in your intake system is the throttle plates themselves.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:05 AM
Rip

Originally Posted by RGT
I have heard complaints that people who have used permanent type filters that require you to oil them have had problems with their air mass sensors.
My mechanic recommended that I remove my K&N filter because of this reason.

Rip

Old 04-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard the same thing about too much oil contaminating the MAF. But from everything I've read, the issue arises after the owner cleans and re-oils the filter. For that reason I usually just buy a new filter when it's due to be cleaned. I have oiled filters on both my R's as well as my old S40. Never had any issues. If you want a good dryflow filter check out Amsoil filters. I ran one of there's for about 10k miles on my S40 before I traded it in, and I really liked it.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a K & N in my S60 since I bought the car in 2005. Never had a problem and I put them in all my cars.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 PM

K&N airfilters actually helps in fuel economy by allowing more air. You also have a hp gains (minimal) but better than stock. Like stated above, the MAF issues come from the owners over oiling the filter and running to the MAF.