Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 air filter and cabin filter exchange

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 air filter and cabin filter exchange

At sean177's request, here is the procedure to replace the air filter and cabin filter elements on the XC90. Specifics of this writeup are to my vehicle, a 2005 V-8. Procedures for different model years may be a bit different and I can't speak to those, again I am only a user, not a Volvo tech. Per a previous comment from Tech, this procedure is the same for all the 2005 engine / model combinations:

Air Filter:

The filter box is located in the left front of the engine compartment, directly behind the headlamp assembly. The cover of the air box is secured by five Torx T25 captive screws.

1. Loosen the Torx screws around the perimeter of the air box

2. Lift up the air box cover from the left side. The right side of the air box will be connected to a black corrugated hose but that hose should flex enough to allow access to the air filter.

3. Lift out the old air filter and set it aside. At this point I like to wipe out the air box with a damp rag to pick up any loose dirt / dust that may have collected there. I use a damp rag so as not to have any dust or particles rise up and inadvertently work their way into the engine. The damp cloth will hold whatever it picks up (within reason) until the rag is removed and can be shaken out.

4. Install the new air filter. (If you’re as lucky as I was getting the filter from the parts store the filter won’t fit. Like me you’ll have the fun of putting the old filter back in and going back to the parts store for round two, in which case start the procedure over from step 1 with the correct filter. Wouldn’t have happened if I had gotten the parts from a Volvo parts counter, lol).

5. With the new filter installed, re-secure the air box cover. Take care not to pinch the wire loom in the right rear corner under the cover. I did this the first time and couldn’t figure out why the cover wasn’t going back on. Once the wire loom was out of the way the cover fit just fine.

6. Tighten the torx screws and discard the old filter.

Cabin filter replacement:

The cabin air filter is located in the passenger side of the cabin underneath the glove box and under the lower panel.

1. Remove the two Torx T25 screws holding the lower panel in place. It will come out with some wiggling, and note the left side of the molded cover has a curve to it. That curve fits in behind the carpeting on the side of the console.

2. With the cover out you can see the bottom of the cabin filter air box, barely. The cover is held on with four T25's, one in each corner. The cover faces downward and so the screws are oriented straight up and down. The angle of the floorboard creates very limited access to the forward two T25’s, and you will need a small ratchet to be able to access them. A straight wrench won’t work for the front screws but did work well for the two rearward screws. (User note: since I did this procedure twice, again because of a wrong filter from the parts store, I learned that it was easier to remove the front screws first and then remove the rear screws. On re-assembly the opposite was easier, as I put the rear screws in first and then put the front screws in.)

3. Pull the cabin filter element downward out of the airbox, tilting the bottom edge rearward to clear the floorboard on it’s way out, then replace with a new filter element making sure it goes in the same way the old one came out.

4. Reinstall the airbox cover with the four Torx, and then the lower panel with the two Torx.

I hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: XC90 air filter and cabin filter exchange

Good write up thanks!

Old 05-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Default Thanks

Yes,

Thanks for the outline. I had trouble getting the cap back on the top of the air filter - it has three points that "hinge" the back part - the point on the right goes in at an angle (first) and then the middle point has two tabs that have to tuck in - it was this middle one that was the trouble, had to tilt the top back and used a screw driver to push it in place - I did eventually do it, but took more than a few tries. The left one goes in pretty easy. Just FYI.

TT

Old 05-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Default Leak detection pump

Can any tell how to replace the leak detection pump, thx
we hve the dtc p2402 showing.