Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Leaky Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Caliper

I need some help. I have a 2004 s60r and one of my calipers is leaking. I called my service department and they said I would need to replace the caliper ($750...ouch!) Luckily I have the extended warranty and its covered. When I brought my car in, I was told that I would also need to replace rotors and brake pads as well ($450...ouch! Not covered under warranty).

Two Questions:

1. Is this really necessary and why?
2. If necessary, since the leaky caliper is the cause for me having to replace brake pads and rotor, wouldn't that technically be covered under the warranty.

If the caliper is the culprit, and I otherwise had no need for new rotor and brake pads, is this my responsibility? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Leaky Caliper

There's no way to tellabout thewarranty without reading it.

If the rotors are worn below minimum spec, then they may need to be replaced. The dealer is probably saying the pads need to be replaced because the pads on the side with the leak have gotten brake fluid on them. If so, then yes, they need to be replaced. If the rotors are marginal he may be recommending that you change all of it because you would have to do it soon anyway.

A cheaper alternative would be to havehim change the caliper and the pads and leave the old rotors.He will probably be reluctant to do this -he will say that the pads will notbed in properly to the old rotors. But the pads will bed in if you take it easy on the brakes for the first few hundred miles. You could plead lack of funds for additional repairs beyond what the warranty covers and you want to skip the rotor replacement.He will probably charge you labor to change the pads on the non-leaky side.

An even cheaper alternative if you are somewhat mechanically inclined is to havehim change the caliper and just the pads on the side with the new caliper. Then when you get home, change the pads on the other side yourself. This should only cost you the price of the pads out-of-pocket since the mechanic had to do the labor to install the pads on the new caliper whether the pads were new or not and that should be covered under warranty.