Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Looking to buy a S60R

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a S60R

Hello, I am interested in buying an S60R and had some questions so I figured I would ask the Volvo enthusiasts since they would probably know the answers better than anyone else.

First off, is the S60R a good match for me? I am looking for a car that is comfortable, stylish, fun-to-drive, reliable and is not super expensive to maintain. I started looking at the S60R because I'm really liking the combo of 300HP turbocharged 5cyl, manual 6spd and AWD; but I am not familiar with them so I have no idea if they are sound machines. To compare, I am also looking at the Subaru Legacy GT, Saab 9-3 and Acura TSX.

Most of my driving is on the highway to/from work but I do enjoy more spirited driving from time to time. I will be driving in the snow and up to the mountains during winter so I want something up to that task (obviously a set of snow tires will help).

On to my questions:
The S60R in particular I am looking at is a 2004 with ~82k on the clock. I haven't gone to look at the car yet because I want to know what to look for before hand but it does look pretty clean in the pictures. It has the Volvo navigation too. What are some common things to look for with a S60R at this mileage?

What is the interval for changing timing belts?
Does this model require special super expensive suspension components due to the 3 computer controlled chassis settings?
Can someone explain how these settings work?
Are the components for the most part the same on all newer Volvo sedans? Reason I ask is a friend of mine has had Volvos forever (loves them) and currently has a S70 (i think) and does 99% of the work so he would be a big help.
Do these cars have electrical gremlins like so other European cars?

What the ironic thing is; yesterday I was driving home after looking at a Subaru LGT and I saw a very nice blue S60R on the highway and thought damn these cars look so awesome.

Any opinions/comments/concerns would be great.

Thanks

Old 05-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WELL, the 6spd is cool. this many miles, it wont be the cheapest thing to fix. If it needs a radiator, your looking upwards of $700+ and they usually do!

105,000 for timing belts.

you have 3 settings comfort, sport, advanced. It makes things really stiff and rough riding in advanced, but handles like a dream. suspension components are not to hard to change, just some connectors your not used to on shocks. A scan from VOLVO will give you a heads up, even on the suspension (SUModule) and other things that are hiding.

I have seen some electrical problems that will go over $1000s of dollars, especially if a simple concern is, the wipers do not work. Be careful, good luck!