Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Lower control arm, wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower control arm, wheel bearing

I'm planning to replace the lower control arm because the tire shop alignment guy said my the bushings are worn out both sides and refused to align and probably will not warranty the tire next time because it's on record of having worn out parts. I have 2 questions related to it. 1) is it a must to take the hub bolt out and separate the spline in the process or is it possible to drop the ball joint without separating the axle from the hub? 2) should I do the bearing at the same time if I suspect damage because I took a very hard hit on a pot hole causing tire damage (which they warrantied) and slightly bent rim? I realize if I have to do the bearing then the question about taking the hub bolt out is moot, so question is more if I have to take the hub bolt out then I should just do the bearing, otherwise I'll take my chances with the bearing.

The other part of this is there's scrubbing on the inner wheel well liner and the alignment tech's explanation is soft bushing is allowing tires to go beyond normal geometry motion. And also the steer stop bumpers were worn so his explanation is also worn out bushings. I don't buy everything he says, but is the front bushing really soft even new or is it really worn out?

I see a lot of complaints about the bushing being worn out and the alignment guy did show me how much movement there is grabbing on the tires and moving it. However, the new arms (Meyle) from FCP I feel are still really soft. Just grabbing on the little metal piece the bolts go through, I can easily move it back and forth. The car is a 2004 with only 67k on it, I didn't expect bushing to wear out that quick but the movement was more than I thought was acceptable, but now the new one shows me they're just soft. Any comments?

Last edited by madymo3d; 04-26-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You don't have to remove the axle bolt, but it makes it way easier. Its only one bolt, not a big deal.

I doubt the bearing is damaged. Are you getting any noise or free play in it?

The rubbing is likely a combination of the control arm bushings and the turn stops. If the bushings are torn, they allow more movement in the arm, which it sounds like they showed you. But there is a chance once you have the new arms on, there will still be a rub. You can replace the stops, or shim them out with washers.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the response. It's not removing the 1 bolt, it's that I was concerned getting the axle from the hub will become a project in itself. I had a 99 C70 that I tried to change bearing and it became a 3 day project to break the axle free from the spline involving torch and shop press. Though at this year/mileage I didn't think it will be a problem.

I took the new parts out and the bushing on one side is noticeably stiffer than the other, but both I can still move them with my thumb on the bolt plate thing. Really not sure if replacing the arms will help anything, but I guess can't hurt either.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

The axles usually aren't a problem on the S60s.

The bushings are rubber, so some play is expected. Are the old ones cracked? When they are bad, you can usually see the bushing is actually cracked/torn.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Ok, it's been 2 months and I'm FINALLY going to do it tonight. I searched a little more for a how-to, and postings from other sites said I might need to compress the spring to get the ball joint out?! Really, is that necessary??

Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Nope. Only on the XC90.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
Nope. Only on the XC90.
Excellent, thank you! Remind me to not get an XC90...for more than just this reason. The more I read about them the more problematic they seem.