Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Manual swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual swap problems

Hey all, 1st post! woot! anyways I am finalizing my manual swap and running into a problem. I have got it started up but when I try and put it into gear, it just slips into gear without any resistance. Without pressing on the clutch and at a dead stop (I haven't gotten it to move yet). When I press on the clutch (whether its in gear or not) I get this whirring noise that dies over the course of 5 seconds. The sound stays constant no matter what gear I am in (still with the clutch pressed in). I have checked CV axles and they are properly hooked up to the transmission by rotating one wheel while the car is on a jack and having a helper slip it into gear. When they put it into gear, each wheel is more difficult to turn but I can still do it by yanking on the brake rotor (yanking is exaggerating. It feels a little bit more difficult to turn. Could probably do it with one hand.)

I tried to bump start it and while the car was moving, I could not put it into gear either with the clutch pedal pressed or not. It grinded.

I have had some difficulty bleeding the clutch line as well but have gotten it mostly firm. Is it possible that the clutch master cylinder is bad (slave is brand new)?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by funkdefunk; 01-12-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds a bit like some of the linkage is not aligned properly. also check and make sure your master and slave cylinders are installed correctly, could be that one is stuck pushing too far in?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 AM

what linkage are you talking about? the clutch/pressure plate assembly? And I have never heard of cylinders going bad like that. The slave is new and I can tell that the master is going the full length back and forth.

A thought that occurred to me was what if there is air in the line. that air gets pressurized as I step on the pedal and since air can be pressurized much more(unlike the hydraulic oil) it is not fully decompressing as hydraulic fluid would. I have bled the system many times but the symptoms have stayed the same. Stupidly I used a vacuum pump during one of the times and that really didn't help. Any other ideas? I don't fancy another transmission pullout.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm talking about the linkage between the shifter and the transmission. I've read that if it's too loose, the transmission doesn't tend to want to go into gear. they make steel bushings that fit into the linkage that could very well help.

Volvo shifter bushings

Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 AM

I have bled the clutch line and started the car in gear and it still will not move. I would love to have any more ideas