Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

My "new" volvo

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My "new" volvo

Hello!

After hours of trolling and becoming a semi hypochondriac about the condition of my 2001 S60 I'm posting a summation of my worries and questions!

I purchased a 2001 S60 from my uncle who is a CPA for an ethanol plant in WIS. He leased it then bought the car after the lease.

Taking for granted my own mistakes and the things ive learned from them I didnt check the oil on the way home from Wisconsin to Bloomington Indiana.

About halfway, i needed to put some petrol in the car, (when i was still putting 87 octane in) and did my routine pump/oil check.

Well the oil was just below the min mark so i bought a quart of 5w-30 syn blend from the gas station and put er in.

Still 1/4 away from the max mark. I bought some more oil in addition to the missing fuel cap on my way back home. Now the oil sits half an XX below the max line.

Halfway home the "service tranny soon" light came on. Then I started noticing a bucking of the tranny sometimes when i came to an idle. Now, when i come to a stop light i have to give the car 3 seconds before i gas so it can change from N to D.

I took the car today to the Stealership and they told me it would cost 89.99 just to get the code pulled off of the ODBI. So i went to the local autoparts store and got the code pulled - and it came back saying "Clutch Engagement System Failed." I was as baffled as the Autozone employee when I told him it was an Auto.

I got the number of a local Volvo mechanic who worked for the dealership for 23 years then retired then opened up his own shop. Im calling him tommorow and seeing whats up. Also the "service emmisions soon" msg is popping up.

I'm going to flush the tranny as soon as i get paid with a case of 12 qts from online, but how come Im so aprehensive to do so because I read that the grime in the transmission fluid may help with friction.

Theres no way that leaving old grimy and brown fluid can be better than replacing it... Can someone ease my worries and tell me that in fact it will be better for me to put all new fluid in it?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 PM
JP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inVOLVOd
Hello!
Can someone ease my worries and tell me that in fact it will be better for me to put all new fluid in it?
Well, if something is mechanically wrong inside the transmission, it won't help of course. But it will make the symptoms go away as happened in my case...

Good luck...

Fellow '01 owner