Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud "pop" in gear shift knob when in "park"

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud "pop" in gear shift **** when in "park"

2003 XC90 2.5T (55,000km)

have owned this vehicle for several months and this was not a problem until only recently (about 5,000km after i bought it).

when it's in "P" and i press the brakes to shift into either "R" or "D", there is a loud pop. and a small vibration in the shifter.

i know one school of thought is this is normal as the gears are "released" when the brake is depressed... but this sound was not there until a week ago. why has it shown up now? feels like a cable has been unclipped or a spring is loose or something. the sound would be similar to a "dungggg" you would here from on old bed spring.

it is not parked on a steep hill, so there is no stress/load on the truck. it happens on flats, everytime.

help is appreciated.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shifter release spring. unless of course your shifting while your car is still moving foreward or backward and you hear that dung then thats your fault cause your not suppose shift from R to D or vise versa while movign nor are you suppose to throw it in park till you come to a full stop and you can do neutral slams either which is where you rev the engine in neutral and throw it into drive. its okay to do n slams on most cars but this cars transmission isnt meant for that kind of stuff.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:41 AM

my mistake i didnt read it fully umm it probably a worn out spring i doubt its unclipped cause then you wotn be able to get into gear

Old 02-22-2011, 10:45 PM

sounds like a driveshaft/ u joint issue 2 me. is the noise coming from the shifter base or maybe under the car?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 AM

i had a mechanic look at it (although it was not a volvo dealer). and he seems to think there's nothing wrong.

but your comments about u joint and driveshaft have me worried. i will take it into a volvo dealer to have a look.

it's difficult to determine, but the "dunggggg" sound seems to be coming from under the car somewhere and then the vibration is in the gear shift **** (specifically in the trigger under the finger).

what's so strange is it ONLY happens when it's in "P" and i shift down into any gear. it does not happen from "R" to "D" or vice versa. only when starting from "P".

hmmmm....

Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by tv23
i had a mechanic look at it (although it was not a volvo dealer). and he seems to think there's nothing wrong.

but your comments about u joint and driveshaft have me worried. i will take it into a volvo dealer to have a look.

it's difficult to determine, but the "dunggggg" sound seems to be coming from under the car somewhere and then the vibration is in the gear shift **** (specifically in the trigger under the finger).

what's so strange is it ONLY happens when it's in "P" and i shift down into any gear. it does not happen from "R" to "D" or vice versa. only when starting from "P".

hmmmm....

intresting i have heard this dungggg before but only when i have parked once my 2002 V8 explorer got old it devloped an ocassional clunk when shifting every now and agian. also check your ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) it might be a tad low. check this by starting up your car opening the hood and looking for the yellow dipstick by the power brake pump and brake fluid resivour. Ill attach a picture in case you have some trouble finding it. im sorry i cant give you a definte answer without looking at it.

Attached Thumbnails Loud "pop" in gear shift knob when in "park"-xc90-engine.jpg