Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

My Transmission is Shot. Advice Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011 | 08:21 AM
|
Default My Transmission is Shot. Advice Needed...

My 2001 s60 T5 needs a new transmission. Only had 94,000 miles This is according to two mechanics and the dealer.

I dont think it is worth it to fix the tranny. I also need new brakes/rotors and struts. My local guy can do it for $3100 but how long will that REALLY last?

What can I do with a volvo that needs a new tranny? Who buys these types of cars and what might it be worth? Tires are only a year old. Im just a bit lost at the moment and I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2011 | 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

You can start by running an ad on craigslist to see if some mechanic might be interested. Then call some Volvo repair shops to see if they might want it or know somebody that does. Last you can call junk yards and see what they will give you for it. Way to get the most money out of it is to part it out, but that is work.

Old 04-20-2011 | 03:40 PM

Hi,

This is interesting thread that I am going to keep reading. My 2001 V70 transmission completely died on a windy road on Mt. Hamilton, SJ, CA on NYE. Oh joy! Not! I knew it was going, call it woman's intitution, but too it to 2 auto places and the mechanics said nothing was wrong with it! Highly frustrating.

How did your mechanic know that the tranny is going?

So I got it towed to a auto place and started my research. I looked online and most people had success with replacing or fixing the tranny.

I researched the dealership and it was way too much money for me.

I went to a junk yard and they had one I could buy and then the auto place would but it in (total cost $1000 + 1000=$2,000). But there was no guarantee that it would work.

The second option I looked at is that the auto shop would send it out to be rebuilt. This cost $4,000. There is a warrantee on the work so I opted for this choice.

I am not happy and when I turn my car in the auto guy drives it for a couple of weeks and does not notice anything. I learned a little to late from someone that Volvo's protocol when a tranny burns up is to replace the filter which catches many of the particles and it could go thru the system. Not sure if this is true.

my car has 180,000 miles all I want out of it is 2 more years when I should be out of college.

Best of luck with this.

Old 04-24-2011 | 08:14 PM

I have a 2006 S60 T5 and the tranny went out with 62,000 miles. Also found out there is a TSB for the valve body on my tranny (AW55-50SN) and trouble shows up between 60K-100K miles. I had it rebuilt and the valve body replaced while they had it out. It's not even close to working properly.
My advice, take your losses, ditch it and don't buy another Volvo.

Old 04-24-2011 | 08:29 PM

I have a 2001 S60 2.4T and the transmission went out at 80k.
Had it rebuilt for $3000 from a transmission shop. I now have 108K and it has run great two 1/2 years later. If you are not in the position to buy another car the best choice may be to fix and keep going. Selling now will be a big money loser if the car is otherwise in good shape. It only has 94k. These cars have the ability to rack up big miles before being considered "finished"

All that being said...these are expensive cars to keep on the road but if you like it keep going. Keep a log of your repairs made and needed so you can make an informed decision as to when to sell.
It will never be cheap like a Toyota or Honda.

Sorry your in this position

Old 04-25-2011 | 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lex Hawkins
I have a 2006 S60 T5 and the tranny went out with 62,000 miles. Also found out there is a TSB for the valve body on my tranny (AW55-50SN) and trouble shows up between 60K-100K miles. I had it rebuilt and the valve body replaced while they had it out. It's not even close to working properly.
My advice, take your losses, ditch it and don't buy another Volvo.
This surprise me where did you take the car?? Most dealers or Volvo specialize shop that work on Volvo tranys do a great job with rebuilds. I have only seen issues when car are taken to shops that are not certified in Volvos and The large AAmco type shops are always a bad idea. The Volvo tranys are not all that easy to work on and using the neighborhood or local trany shop is a bad idea. An 06 with 62k seems very low for such a major issue. Buy any chance did you have a dealer at least look at it ??

Old 04-25-2011 | 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by MYS6T
This surprise me where did you take the car?? Most dealers or Volvo specialize shop that work on Volvo tranys do a great job with rebuilds. I have only seen issues when car are taken to shops that are not certified in Volvos and The large AAmco type shops are always a bad idea. The Volvo tranys are not all that easy to work on and using the neighborhood or local trany shop is a bad idea. An 06 with 62k seems very low for such a major issue. Buy any chance did you have a dealer at least look at it ??
The origin of the problem is the cooler in the radiator was defective. It allowed water to enter the transmission and transmission fluid to enter the cooling system. Replaced the radiator and flushed the transmission to the extent possible. No problems until about 3 months passed, then it began to slip.
I hope most of my post rebuild problems are software/computer related. I'm taking it to the dealer to make sure the TCM has all the updates and hopefully to reset everything.