Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Need advice - Engine needs to be replaced :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice - Engine needs to be replaced :(

Hello everyone, I would like to ask for your advice regarding the following issue I have on my 2011 S60 D5 AWD.

Tho months ago, the alternator belt broke causing pieces of the belt to be tangled on the inside of the timing belt. This in return caused the timing belt to jump off point - during this time the car worked fine except it would not reach higher RPM than 4000 resulting in loss of power.

Took it to the dealer and had all the timing belt kit replaced as well as the alternator belt. They recommended to have the engine opened up and check for additional damage - I declined since the car was working fine without any issues plus they wanted me to pay a lot of money for this. Again this was a recommendation and not a required action.

A month ago, took it to the dealer for regular maintenance and they stated the car was in good condition and no immediate maintenance is required.

Fast forward two weeks, and while driving, the engine stopped, lots of white/gray smoke came out of the exhaust. At this point the engine would not start and there was no cooling liquid present in the container. I had it towed to the dealer and after opening the engine, they are telling me the entire engine needs to be replaced at a cost of over 15,000 euros .

Please help me on how I should proceed with this, since the car has only 84k km. Also I bought the car used last year and I am located in Romania.

Would reaching out to Volvo International be a good option and have them look into my issue? I don't want to reach out to Volvo Romania since I would be sent over to the same dealer as before.

Thank you!