Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help 2012 s60 T5 turbo Timing Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help 2012 s60 T5 turbo Timing Setup

Starting from scratch. I need help with how to set the timing on this 2012 S60 T5. I cannot find info anywhere on this newer version S60. Does anyone have a link to the procedure or a manual or can give a walk thru. Thanks Brandon

Old 04-11-2023, 04:12 AM
Default 2012 Volvo S60 T5

I own a 2012 s60 five cylinder turbo and the dash had the check engine light on for about a week before I could get the car to the shop. I had the OBD2 read at O'Riely's and it said that I had misfires on cylinders 1,2&5 and random misfires. I replaced all of the cylindrts and the misfires continued. The car after driving it for two days has gone into safe mode with the "reduced engine performance" message on and the car won't start. Should I replace the coils and get new spark plugs? Heeeelp

Old 04-11-2023, 10:03 AM
Default 20121 s60 random misfire

Originally Posted by john.felder.jr@gmail.com
I own a 2012 s60 five cylinder turbo and the dash had the check engine light on for about a week before I could get the car to the shop. I had the OBD2 read at O'Riely's and it said that I had misfires on cylinders 1,2&5 and random misfires. I replaced all of the cylindrts and the misfires continued. The car after driving it for two days has gone into safe mode with the "reduced engine performance" message on and the car won't start. Should I replace the coils and get new spark plugs? Heeeelp
In general, you will get a random misfire when there is an intake leak, meaning the engine is getting more air than it is expecting to receive. Check all your hoses. There are several- two hoses connect to the turbo, one is small (about the size of the hoses that feed water to the windshield washers) and the other is fairly large, around 1/2 inch in diameter. Both of these hoses connect to the upper half of the intake manifold- the ribbed black plastic thing. Two other areas to check would be the vacuum hose that connects the manifold to the brake booster, it connects under the manifold and travels to the right (i.e. driver's side) of the engine. The last place to check would be the PCV oil filter housing- a leak in any of these areas could cause random misfires.

Despite all of this, I would check the fuel injectors. If your car is misfiring it could be that one of them is stuck. A simple way to check them is to unplug each injector, one at a time, while the engine is running. If you unplug an injector and the engine sounds exactly the same, then you can start thinking about replacing the injector. I had this exact problem in my 2012 S60 T5 and replacing the injectors fixed the problem. I note, however, that I had an injector that was stuck open, which flooded the cylinder with fuel and also caused lots of smoke out of the tailpipe. Hope some of this helps!