Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help

Hello Everyone.....I had a fuse blow in my 03 s60 which controlled my entire dash, I have since replaced the fuse but now have my SRS-Urgent AirBag Service needed light/warning on....I DO NOT WANT TO PAY $100 to have the module reset when I can purchase a reset tool for future use(if needed) and would like to know where can I buy a reset tool for future use???? Alpha bid did not have one for my car and if anyone can provide me with a website that will have the reset tool for my 03 s60 I would really appreciate it...I know I am looking to spend anywhere from $200 upwards to find this device....obviously my OBll tool only works for codes and does not reset the airbag module! Thanks ahead for any and all help!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:43 PM

nobody has any ideas of where i am able to purchase a reset tool for my 03 s60??? I called a shop that works on volvo's and they wanted $100....hell if I am going to pay that I just assume spend another 100-200 and buy the tool myself for future use if needed!!! can ANYONE help???

Old 08-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it's a dealer only procedure. That's what sucks on Volvos cuz there are procedures that only they can perform w/ their proprietary machines esp. if it's
a software issue. If you find such tool, pls. post it here and I'll buy one myself.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:49 PM

Here you go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...ht_4062wt_1165

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010A...ht_4551wt_1165

Might be a bit more than your were hoping to spend though.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Holy crap, that ain't cheap. If I had a repair shop, I'd prob buy one.
How can u be sure that thing would do the job it's suppose to do. It could
only be a cheap imitation and not as complete at that of the dealer. You couldn't
get a refund in case u r not satisfied w/ it, only exchange. They say that over
in China, they could copy or fabricate anything they want. Patsfn, better go to the stealer.

Last edited by Manu Noypi; 08-25-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: add'l comments
Old 08-29-2010, 11:57 AM

Try this it works great.while car is turned off no key in ignition.
Remove only the negative battery cable from ur battey and place it on top of the positive. Let it sit for about 30 sec. On top . Then reinstall the ground cable that should clear all faults. This is used to power down completly all the mod. If it dont work the first time re do but leave it at least an hour.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:36 AM

okay need2fix so I went looking for the battery....not to sound like an idiot but usually the battery is in plain sight and your able to find, on the s60 i did not see the battery, from what I have read I believe it is on the passengers side but I still did not locate the battery is the battery hidden/in a compartment for a reason??? where would I find this elusive battery......does anyone know where I should be looking I feel like a fool asking this but on my 960 the battery was in plain sight and well this one likes to play hide and seek

Old 08-31-2010, 06:45 AM

The battery is in the trunk on the drivers side under the floor mat. It sits under a plastic shield and a hold-down bracket right next to the spare tire. (I'm assuming that your 03 S60 is the same as the 02 S60 that I had.) You'll need a basic socket set to remove the hold-down bracket that covers the plastic shield.

Now, before you go spending your time with the battery, I can tell you, with a fairly high degree of confidence, that the suggestion above will NOT accomplish anything. It certainly won't hurt anything to try disconnecting the negative cable from the battery and letting it sit for a while, but there is virtually no need whatsoever to touch the negative cable to the positive. It's NEVER A GOOD IDEA to touch the cables of a battery together for any reason. If you're not familiar with electrical work, you can easily start a fire, and/or damage the battery.

The modules "power down" when the battery is disconnected, and will not be reset by simply touching the negative cable to the positive terminal. If that were the case, there would be a LOT of happy do-it-yourselfers out there.

Also, if you do disconnect the battery, you may need to enter a security code into your stereo. I didn't have to do that on my 02 S60, but I've heard that other people have, so make sure you have the code before disconnecting the battery, just in case.

Adam

Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 AM

MTNBKR yes my s60 is an 03 and i did find the battery in the trunk...thanks for the help, but you don't feel that by disconnecting the battery it will reset the airbag module??? I have tried the put your key in the ignition and reset the trip odometer and turn key to position lll and they did not work....and going to a place that works on volvo's wants $100 just to reset the SRS----->Airbag light, any suggestion that might work from anyone????? Any and all help is appreciated!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:10 AM

Like I mentioned above, it can't hurt to try disconnecting the negative, but I wouldn't be too hopeful that it'll reset your ABS system. Unfortunately, you're probably going to be stuck forking out the $100 for a reset.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 AM

Ithe reason being is to power down all modules completly. I'm not going to tell you to do something that will harm ur car. I ain't no back yard mech. as for causing a fire It won't
Not sure if it will reset it but I bet ur ccm power was lost causing that light
This works great with check engine lights after repair. Due to capacitors and resistors staying powered on will not let modules erase codes completly . Works great with etm problems to get back in network.

Last edited by need2fix; 09-01-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 AM

And u have an 03 volvo they stop using radio codes when they got rid of the 850.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by need2fix
Ithe reason being is to power down all modules completly. I'm not going to tell you to do something that will harm ur car. I ain't no back yard mech. as for causing a fire It won't
Not sure if it will reset it but I bet ur ccm power was lost causing that light
This works great with check engine lights after repair. Due to capacitors and resistors staying powered on will not let modules erase codes completly . Works great with etm problems to get back in network.
Unless you've found some amendment to the laws of physics and electronics theory that I'm unaware of, then the additional step of touching the negative cable to the positive terminal of the battery is completely pointless. The act of doing so will not enable some hidden "shutdown" or "reset" feature. Spreading this misinformation as truth is simply ignorance.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:43 PM

need2fix, r u sure about d radio code not on 03+ S60 mods?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:37 PM

Unless you've found some amendment to the laws of physics and electronics theory that I'm unaware of, then the additional step of touching the negative cable to the positive terminal of the battery is completely pointless. The act of doing so will not enable some hidden "shutdown" or "reset" feature. Spreading this misinformation as truth is simply ignorance.

glad to hear u become a master tech. for being a member for 4 years cant wait for my four years. lol

as long as the negative is not on the negative post nothing will happen.
dude if u think it will blow up then dont do it im telling u what i do at times to
return module to network works most times. done this thousands of times. i dint say put a extension from post to post.
and yes the last car that used a code on the radio was the S70

Last edited by need2fix; 09-01-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 AM

glad to hear u become a master tech. for being a member for 4 years cant wait for my four years. lol

as long as the negative is not on the negative post nothing will happen.
dude if u think it will blow up then dont do it im telling u what i do at times to
return module to network works most times. done this thousands of times. i dint say put a extension from post to post.
and yes the last car that used a code on the radio was the S70
Seriously dude, you should consider fine tuning your reading comprehension skills (and punctuation, capitalization, spelling, etc...). My previous post mentioned nothing regarding explosions or fires. No, the act of touching the negative cable to the positive terminal will NOT start a fire. However, handing out information on the internet to novice "mechanics" without clarifying could yield unintended results. Since touching the negative cable to the positive terminal will accomplish nothing, I'd just as soon avoid the whole possibility of someone misinterpreting the information as "touch the negative to the positive", and causing themselves harm.

With regard to being a master mechanic, no I am not, nor do I claim to be. I am however a Mechanical Engineer (that's how I know my Physics and Electronics theory) who has been working on cars of various makes and models for about 20 years. I only post replies to topics that I have direct knowledge of, or when I feel that something I know my help the person solve their problem. When I don't have a clue what's going on, I keep my mouth shut.

I have yet to see a post from you on this board that suggests that you have any more than a BASIC knowledge of vehicles in general.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 AM

Have u tried this before if not then don't sit here and say it don't work.
If u don't belive it will work then go about your buisness and fix it your way.
I'm just trying to help someone out and u want to come in and act like a rocket
Scientist thank u Bill Nye the science guy.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 AM

Have u tried this before if not then don't sit here and say it don't work.
If u don't belive it will work then go about your buisness and fix it your way.
I'm just trying to help someone out and u want to come in and act like a rocket
Scientist thank u Bill Nye the science guy.
LMAO...LMAO...still LMAO.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Ok guys, you've made ur point. This is suppose to be a friendly forums and we try to help one another.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MTNBKR , I have recommended this many times in these forums and have done it in the shop and it works in certain situations.

need2fix looks by his post he knows what he is doing.

Quick Reply: Need help