Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

New 2002 Owner - long

Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2002 Owner - long

New owner of a 2002 S60, with only 38,000, been driving it for 1 month now.

I have read most of the post but still need some assistance.
  • Door Locks – I understand that there is only 1 button to lock and unlock. If any door is unlocked, the button will lock the doors. If I get out of the car (drivers door is now unlocked) and need something in the back seat, that door is locked. So I press the “lock” button, and now all doors are locked. Therefore I have to press it again to get the back door to unlock. It this just how it is or just uses the remote to unlock?
  • Door Locks – Why doesn’t the doors automatically lock when I put the car in gear? I know I can take it (and I will) to the shop and have them program it, but shouldn’t this have been a default?
  • Rear Door – If I go over a bump, the info display shows Left Rear Door Open and the dome lights come on. A few seconds later it goes away. I have read post on this and they have helped. If I slam the door shut, it normally does not have this issue. It’s just a contact sensor somewhere in the door latch. I have not completely taken it apart yet, but will. Anybody fix this without buying a new assembly?
  • Front Window – The front passenger window does not go all the way down. It sticks up about ½ - 1 inch from being flush. I can push it down, but…..Any thought? Also, sometimes when the window goes up in auto mode it stops and comes back down. I know this is a built in safety feature, but what would cause the randomness of it?
  • Head Light Switch – In the 0 position the DRL come on, this is good. But the bright lights don’t stay on. In the 1 position the DRL come on, this is good, and the bright lights stay on. I know the car is controlled by a computer and it does not allow the bright to be on in the 0 position. So, I just leave the switch in the 1 position. The lights shut off when the car is off, so no harm, right?
  • Head Lights – Is there a way to have the car running without the head lights on. I have tried setting the switch to 0, parking brake on, and then starting the car. The head lights still came on.
  • Dome Light – Is there a way to have the dome light NOT come on when I open the door or press the unlock button. I know it’s a safety feature to see if anybody is in the car, but…. My other cars have an override switch.
  • Open Driver’s Door – Sometimes when I open the driver’s door from the outside, the driver’s seat moves back. I like this because when my short daughter drives the car, she leaves the seat forward. But it does not do this all the time, why? Also, my son said that one time when he opened the door, the A/C was on. I have not seen this yet.
  • Front Fog Lights – This car does not have front fog lights installed. What are the best to install? I know that I will need a separate switch, but that is OK. I prefer a factory look, direct install. If you know how to connect into the S60 and where to purchase a S60 push switch, I would go this route.
  • Rear Fog Lights – I know it “only” has the 1 driver’s side fog light, but…. If you pop out the plastic cover on the passenger side, you can add the 2nd. I don’t use rear fog lights much, so I just connected them to the brake lights (I used 2 diodes to prevent shorting out and back feeding the brake lights if the fog lights were turned on) and now the brakes are extra bright.
  • Trunk Release – Is there an inside the car trunk release button? I know it’s not needed.
  • Still looking for a good place to get key blanks. Need a key to hide on the car. Doing this comes in handy with kids.
I compare the S60 with the other vehicles we own: 2004 Tahoe (70K), 2000 S500 (135K), and 1999 Taurus (155K). We now drive the S60 wherever we go. Nice ride and great gas mileage.

I purchased the car from my parents. They are/were the original owners, complete maintenance, drove only to/from church, store, dinner, and doctor’s office. About 5K per year. The Tahoe is now parked until winter. Wife drives the Benz, and the kids get the Taurus. The S60 get’s 26 mpg to and from work (30 miles r/t). The trip back from Florida to Indiana it got 31 mpg average trip (70 mph average). This is a lot better than the 14 the Tahoe gets.
Thanks for any feed back.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Default Door Lock issue

I have the same problem with my 2002 volvo s60.

I hit the door lock and the doors lock. If i press it agian they try to lock a 2nd time, but will not unlock.

From reading the posts it seems it could be a faulty switch.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:20 PM

#2 –$30 for software and $50 for labor.
#8 –It will return to the last seat setting that it was at, based on the remote that was used to lock/unlock the door with.
#12 –$68 for key and $76 to program it.