Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New guy with an 06 S60 T5

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with an 06 S60 T5

Hey everyone. Just hours ago I bought a sweet 2006 S60 T5 automatic with only 42k on the odo.
I couldn't find the dealer who serviced the car so I went into this a bit blind but the CarFax was
clean and the car impressed me on an extended test drive through the mountains, without a dealer rep on board.

Only a few issues/questions at this time:

A) Only one key so I'm looking forward to that trip to the dealer (several hours drive away). How much is that likely
to cost me for one extra?

B) TPMS. I don't think this car has it and if not I'll be very glad. The valve stems are grey/black rubber. Am I home
free on this? I need to order winter wheels and tires ASAP.

C) Looks like while the car was waiting for me to come along and buy it, some gas thief popped the filler door open,
or maybe it just broke. Anyway, the filler door sits a couple of mm out from the body and doesn't lock with the doors.
I got in late and haven't had a chance to really look at the issue.

Otherwise the car seems like new. At 42k, is there anything I need to do right away? Change the oil just to make sure? etc...

PS: I'm not new to Volvo, but I was a long term owner of a 242, a 244 and 2 245s...all manuals...so this T5 is worlds apart.

Glad to be back in the Volvo owner's family.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 AM

Shy bunch?

A) I guess that's a pretty common question. I have no burning need for a second master key but will pay the high price when I find myself near a dealer.

B) TPMS. Aside from letting the air out of a tire and driving it down the road, how can I be sure that I do or do not have TPMS? Anyone???

C) Filler door is now resting flush with the body but doesn't lock. I don't hear any actuation standing near the filler door when I lock or unlock the car. Ideas?? Should I hear anything back there when I lock or unlock the car??

Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You want the second key sooner than later. If you lose the one key that you have you may be in a world of hurt for getting another key programmed to the car.

The TPMS.
Do you have a low pressure light in the instrument cluster when the bulb checks happens? With the rims having the normal ruber valve stems you should have a TPMS warning light on if you have the TPMS system because the TPMS valve stems are metal.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ssicarman
You want the second key sooner than later. If you lose the one key that you have you may be in a world of hurt for getting another key programmed to the car.

The TPMS.
Do you have a low pressure light in the instrument cluster when the bulb checks happens? With the rims having the normal ruber valve stems you should have a TPMS warning light on if you have the TPMS system because the TPMS valve stems are metal.

Though I've never lost a car key (owned about 50 cars so far), and find it hard to believe I could lose one this big, you make a valid point because there's always a first time. This is a small town and the car was owned locally. It would be cool if the past owner spotted me and gave me the second key. Dreaming I know, but it really is a small town with relatively few Volvos on the roads.

Good to know regarding the TPMS. Some makes don't use sensors in the wheels and thus those valve stems are normal. It's good to get this brand specific info. I find it somewhat remarkable that TPMS was an option and I'm glad the original buyer for my car didn't pay for it.

Thanks and happy New Year.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the filler door, a new hinge may be necessary in the near future. The hinge is the fragile part. Take a look at the locking plunger with the filler door open while you actuate the lock with the remote, or when someone else operates the lock at the door.
Ed

Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably broken filler door hinge. Mine did the same thing and I bought an new one off ebay.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

idk about other places but in 2005 they passed a law saying that all cars henseforth will be required to have a TPMS

Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 PM

Coincidence I just purchased a Volvo s60 T5 today as well. My first volvo.