Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

New parts vs used ones vs rebuilt?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New parts vs used ones vs rebuilt?

Hi folks,

2006 S60, the ABS light came on (2WD, ABS with STC), dealer diagnosed it, ABS module gone, dealer quoted an insane $1,600!
Googled, found new for ~1,200, still too expensive. Googled some more, found used for ~$350... it's getting better... then I found some businesses that rebuild these (and other ECU) modules.

Here are some:
- this is on ebay - http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Car-Truc...+module&_dct=1

- these people can't fix all models, but they do the same thing - www.modulemaster.com

... and there are probably others out there as well.

My questions are:

1. what would you guys do, buy a new one, a used one or have it rebuilt for about $40 (yes, that's what it costs, fourty bucks)

2. any idea what a "rebuild" means and how is this profitable for them at $40? according to the ebay rating they are trustworthy (besides I have nothing to lose) and they trust their rebuild services so much that they give lifetime warranty... does it not sound too good to be true?

Thanks,
blizzard

Last edited by blizzard; 06-28-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 AM

It's VERY unlikely that the guy rebuilding modules for $40 will work on the module on your vehicle. Some of the older modules (pre-'02) just need the solder re-flowed on the power connectors. This is a quick and simply procedure and could easily be done for $40 and still make money. Unfortunately your module (and mine) are newer, and aren't as simple as that.

I've done extensive research and contacted a few vendors in the last few weeks as I am having the same issue. My ABS module is failing causing loss of ABS, AWD, and odometer...so far.

The only place I've found that will rebuild it is a place called Xemodex at a cost of about $450. http://www.xemodex.com/
I talked to a guy there who was very friendly and helpful. I'm probably going to be sending mine in for rebuild either this week or next.

If you get a used / salvage module, you may or may not have to get it reprogrammed at the dealership before it will work correctly. I've heard conflicting info on this issue.

Let me know if you have any more questions...I might be able to help. Also, check your ABS fuses if you haven't already.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:33 PM

Hi MTNBKR,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Mine hasn't died completely (yet), sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't. That makes me think it's a bad contact. First I thought it was the fuse or one of the wires then the dealer diagnosed it and according to them it's something inside the ABS module.

As described on the xemodex website this could be caused by the heat coming from the engine. I've noticed this hot/cold behavior and the mechanic at the dealership knew about it as well.

I think I'm going to send mine to this $40 service and if they can't fix it because it's not the connectors, but something more expensive dying in it then I'll try xemodex or I'll buy a used one for about $350-$375.

Regards,
blizzard

Old 06-29-2010, 02:50 PM

Hey Blizzard,

You'd probably be better off removing your ABS module and simply noting the part number that is printed on the casing. Then, instead of sending your unit off the the $40 place, just call them with the part number and ask them if they can rebuild. It says on one of those auctions that your ABS unit MUST look like the one in the photo or the offer is not valid. I think you'll find (like I did) that your module has only one large connector as opposed to the one in the photo that has one large and one small connector.

Remember that if you decide to buy a used one for $350-$375, you'll likely have to have the software downloaded at the dealer which will probably put you over the $450 price of the Xemodex rebuild when everything is totaled up.

Post back and let me know if the ebay place is able to do the rebuild...if so, maybe I'll send mine there too instead of Xemodex.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:29 AM

Hi MTNBKR,

That's a good idea, thanks! I might be able to remove it this coming weekend and call them early next week. I will let you know for sure.