Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

OEM Turbo for non turbo S60

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Turbo for non turbo S60

Question... My S60 is the turbo-less version. What all does it take to convert it to the turbo version.
do I purchase a turbo from Volvo, and just install it? Is it Easy? Any internal mods?

Thank you

Old 03-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: OEM Turbo for non turbo S60

Welcome to the forum.

1. It isn't easy.

2. It isn't cheap.

3. You just don't install a turbo and go on your way.

A small list of items you will need.

1. Turbo
2. Intercooler
3. Intercooler hardpipes
4. Intercooler/Turbo hoses
5. Vaccum lines
6. Downpipe
7. Catback system
8. Major ECU tuning (Most important step IMO)
9. Possibly bigger injectors
10. Oil and or water lines

This is just a small list of what you will need.

Your looking at a project that is going to cost you well over $3,000 and countless hours of working and tuning to get it right.

It is cheaper to sell your N/A and purchase a turbo model and mod the turbo model.

Unless you can do all the work yourself that $3,000 isn't including anyone labor. Parts are going to run you at least $3,000 unless you buy used parts and I don't suggst you do.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:41 PM

Also, the compression is too high on a n/a 2.4. It is over 10:1. Turbo engines need lower compression, more like 8 or 9:1.
This is a non starter unless you get a wrecked turbo car and can swap the complete drive train and electronics.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 PM

Ok, idea scrapped. I'll stick to other mods to get more power. If I can get 25 more horses I'll be happy (hopefully).

Old 03-10-2008, 07:07 AM

Good luck getting power from an N/A. It isn't worth it. As you wont gain much if anything.

Because even with a catback and homemade intake your only going to gain possibly 10Hp.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Good luck getting power from an N/A. It isn't worth it. As you wont gain much if anything.

Because even with a catback and homemade intake your only going to gain possibly 10Hp.
So what you're saying is... I own a 2004 S60 2.4L, with 168 horses, and that's it, that's all the juice that I can squeez out of this car. Nothing in this world that I can put in this car will make it gain acceptable numbers, beacause really that's all i'm looking for, acceptable, not R numbers. I refuse to believe that Volvo engineers maxed out this engine. It's huge!!!, it's a 2.4, 5 cyl.!!!
Is this not the engine which the 2.4T, and the T5, are based from?

Just 25 more guys, that's all. I could get 50 more out of my 1994 Honda Civic EX just by torquing a screw (1.6 L, w/ 125 horses stock), and the same goes for my 1996 VW Jetta.

If this is it, then I think Volvo droped the ball!

I am still going to give my car, and my engine the benefit of the doubt. This is a European car maker, and Euro's are nuts about sport tuned cars. I'm sure the Euro version of my engine puts out more, and if it doesn't, they sure as hell have ways of making it put out more. Again, i'm not looking to get my base S60 on the same league as the Type R.

Thanks you all for your recomendations, and suggestions.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:00 PM

Well, no offense, but why did you get a non-turbo model if you were worried about performance? If you had gotten aturbo model, you would have a decent starting point. True the S60 is labeled a sport sedan, but people have diff definitions on what performance is and what they are willing to pay for.I don't think they dropped the ball; they offer diff engines. I think the assumption is if you want more performance, get the more powerful engine.

I don't think Evolve even offers performance upgrades for non-turboed S60's.

Personally, I would save up and buy a turbo model. But if you are determined, try and find an ECU upgrade, intake kit, downpipe and exhaust. But all of that will cost you.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: S60 R

Well, no offense, but why did you get a non-turbo model if you were worried about performance? If you had gotten aturbo model, you would have a decent starting point. True the S60 is labeled a sport sedan, but people have diff definitions on what performance is and what they are willing to pay for.I don't think they dropped the ball; they offer diff engines. I think the assumption is if you want more performance, get the more powerful engine.

I don't think Evolve even offers performance upgrades for non-turboed S60's.

Personally, I would save up and buy a turbo model. But if you are determined, try and find an ECU upgrade, intake kit, downpipe and exhaust. But all of that will cost you.

Good luck!

R... I am not worried about performance, I am not looking to transform my car into an Acura Integra, nor am I trying to cast my car in Fast and the furius. Simply, my complaint is the lack of power when passing.

I simply thought that with a few mods, i would be able to gain some power, but as you all have told me won't be the case with my particular application.

Obviusly I would've loved tohave gottena T5, and I almost did, except, my bank wouldn't loan me the money because it wasn't getting purchased from a frencise dealer. I am still very happy with my car and got a good deal on it (2004 s60 w/ 54,000 miles, $9000), just need a little more power.

Thanks everybody for your input.
I will now move on to exterior upgrades.

Later on I will be posting instructions on how to install OEM foglights, w/ pics, for s60 without them.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 PM

Well here is the deal. Your N/A meaning not turboed or supercharged. You can do performance mods. I am not telling you, you can't.

What I am telling you is that you wont see numbers from mods like you would on a turboed model. Also you may see the opposite by loosing power with performance mods on an N/A.

I went from an N/A to a turbo I know how things go.

1. Get a K&N panel filter, you may gain 2-5 Hp. 5 being the highest and max.
2. Have a 2.25" to a 2.5" catback system made with a baffled muffler such as a Flowmaster. You wanted baffled as N/A cars like back pressure. You may see 5-10 Hp. 10 being the highest and the max.
3. Lighten your car up. The lighter it is, the better accelaeration you will get. This is an honest mod.
4. Try the QBM (QuickBrickMotorsports) Cam Timing Tool. BEWARE only use this if you know what your doing. This is a win loose mod. You could seriously screw something up by doing this. And I don;t know if the N/A models have been tested or if anyone has used this on an N/A. Talk to Slater at QBM to find out.

If you take the highest numbers from two of the mods above you come up with 15 Hp. IMO unrealistic and don't expect it and to be honest the only way you will know if you gained or lost anything is to dyno your car.

On the other hand I have modded an N/A before my own and it wasn't worth the money spent on it in the engine performance department. I suggest you sell and buy a turbo model and then you will have fun.

If you have to keep the N/A I suggest exterior mods, suspension mods and audio mods.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:54 PM

Thanks S70. I will do just that, ext, and audio. Keeping it fora while, then getting something from Volvo, for sure, later in life.