Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil issue

I purchased a 2025 V60 3 years ago. It was a lease turn in. Only 18000 miles I have had the car back to the dealer numerous times because the oil light comes on and reads down 1 qt.
I was told Volvo aware of the problem and there was a fix. Supposedly it was fixed!
I spoke to Volvo NA and they said nothing can be done.
Oil light on today. Bought a qt of synthetic oil. Just found out no dipstick! Watched video of how to read oil level. Added the qt and there was no line between minimum and maximum!
is it down more than a qt? Shouldn’t there be an indicator bar that tells me the oil is ok?
This is my wife’s car. She loves it I’m beginning to find it a nuisance. Especially since Volvo not willing to stand behind their product
Was thinking of trying a class action against Volvo to get them to make me/us whole
any suggestions about todays the oil issue is appreciated
joe

Old 04-19-2020, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

google "2015 volvo S60 oil reset" I assume your 2025 was a typo for a 2015.

As to the oil level, if you have a history of prior complaints for excessiv oil consumption during the warranty period, you may be able to work with Volvo factory support. They authorize the dealer for warranty work and would provide any goodwill. When Volvo NA said nothing can be done, that's not quite accurate and probably not what they meant. There's two problems here to be worked 1) is your oil level sensor working correctly? Odds are it is so read up on how to read the level and how to reset after serving. As to the cause for excessive oil consumption, there's only a few things that can cause that. 1) pistons/rings 2) valve guides/valve seals 3) head gasket or turbo seals 4) leaks. outside of leaks or a turbo seal, the solution requires a tear down of the engine or a replacement of the block (figure $10,000 as a rough guess for replacing the long block).

This is where you'd need to have a warranty to cover or pray to the Volvo Gods that they offer some good will. Otherwise the best thing is to top the oil as needed. As to class action law suits, you can google to see if one is already in place. those are intended for large groups of victims, take years to process and most of the money goes to the lawyers not the victims but that doesn't say you can't make a civil claim.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:07 PM

Yes it’s a2015! It just doesn’t make sense that it burns a qt every x miles
thx for your reply

Old 04-19-2020, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

curious as to how many miles before you add a quart?

Old 04-19-2020, 04:57 PM

It always seemed to happen when it was about 1000 miles to oil change. This time there’s still 5200 miles to change. Oil change every 10000. Got car with 18000 miles on it. Today it has 36000 miles on it. This is the third or fourth time it’s happened
Dealer kept the car for a week. Replaced the sensor and another part. Said it was fixed!

Old 04-19-2020, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a bit confused on whether you have an issue with the car consuming oil or setting off false positive warnings. Did the dealer determine that did need another quart or two of oil after 5000 miles or is it a glitch in the oil level monitoring system that is the problem here?

Old 04-19-2020, 07:13 PM

In the past the low oil indicator has come on about 1000 miles before scheduled oil change. This time it has come on about 5000 miles before scheduled oil
we have put 18000 miles on the car in 3 years. This is the fourth time the warning has come on.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

did you need to add oil when light came on or did you assume you needed to add oil since the light was on? You'd need your shop to determine if you are actually consuming oil or if there's a sensor issue telling you the level is down. What you can do is try doing an oil light reset to see if that clears the warning.

If not, I'd do an oil change and measure the amount that came out to see if it really needed the extra quart. I've seen stories where people overfilled their oil due to a sensor error which can cause more problems than running a quart down.

Sounds like you still need to know if you have a wonky gauge/sensor or that your car actually consumes a quart every xx miles. Note that 5000 miles per quart is not excessive. Not ideal for a modern engine, but not excessive...

Old 04-21-2020, 09:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was not long ago when Mercedes claimed adding 1 quart every 1200 miles was not excessive and entirely within spec.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:19 PM

I traded my C350 forthiis car!!!!!

Old 04-21-2020, 12:27 PM

This is the first time I personally added oil. In the past the dealer has told me to either stop by and they'll add the quart or it was "close" to the scheduled oil change.
My problem is : The dealer said there was a fix. A sensor and a screen ( I Believe). Last trip to the dealer because of low oil light, service rep told my wife there is no fix. As I said I contacted Volva NA directly. The lady took all of my info and a short time later VNA responded by saying there is no fix and to live with it You're on your own!!
What modern car burns oil? Especially on a regular basis
After seeing a You Tube video on how to read the oil level, there is no dip stick, I added a quart of oil. At first it didn't register. Later in the day I checked again and the level was fine. So does this mean I have to start carrying oil around with me? A modern era car should not burn oil!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2020, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Just to note, I keep a quart of oil in all my cars. I totally get your frustration with the dealer and Volvo NA. My wife refuses to take her car in for service as she feels like the dealer is talking a different language from her. Once you see how to read the oil level and reset the oil level monitor, then you can take care of the car correctly - even if it means dropping a quart in after xx miles. It sounds like you still don't trust that the dealer gave you a satisfactory response. First thing is to be confident that the level monitor is working correctly. best way in my mind is to measure what drains out at the next oil change. If the monitor is accurate, you can use the guage to know when to add oil. What I'm hearing from Volvo is that they are saying your oil level monitor is working correctly and that there is no reasonable way to reduce the oil consumption (short of replacing the engine which is not a viable option). I assume the dealer is doing the oil changes so you're getting the correct weight oil so the only thing left is to tell the dealer at your next serving that you want to know for a fact that your oil level monitor system is reporting accurately.