Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Old 850 owner looking at S60R

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old 850 owner looking at S60R

What do you guys think about this S60R? It seems legitimate to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/volvo...c3864474#v4-38

I've been planning on buying one this summer but stumbled upon this today and find it hard to pass up. I planned to do the upgrades anyway so this seems like a cheap way to do so. I want to talk down to around 16,500.

Any honest opinions given the ebay description? Normally I would do the research on my own but seeing as I was unprepared to stumble upon this I am a little cold.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two words. Buy It!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:41 AM

Dont be dumb $16,500 lol thats an insult but thats just my feelings good luck though. I see you still driving your current car for a long time to come

Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy selling the car is a member of Swedespeed. Find out what tuning he has done to the car. If it is the Evolve/Powerchips tune, don't even consider it! Way to many issues with cracked cylinder walls amongst other things. If the tuning is anyone else it should be good. I know the owner's taken it to the track and ran LEADED fuel in the car before. So this car has not been "babied" by any stretch of the imagination.
As far a 400HP... With out a turbo upgrade, I'm Not thinking so. Ask for a Dyno Graph.
You can read through his posts here...
http://forums.swedespeed.com/search.php?searchid=441582
After reading a few myself, I'd be very leery of this car.

IMHO, find a stock SR and build it your self. This is way more fun and you know what's going on with the car every time you add a mod. On kind or an interesting note, IIRC, he has 1 of 4 B-Line intakes ever made. Me, Luciano and another guy (can't remember his name) from SS have the other 3.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 PM

I would like to buy stock but don't have money to drain on performance upgrades. The link to swedespeed didn't work. What is his username? I will look it up myslef.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:51 PM

Oops.. His user name is zayzay. Here's the correct link...
http://forums.swedespeed.com/search.php?searchid=441948

Post back after you read up a little and let us know what you think. And seriously ask for the Dyno info! I can almost guaranty he's not hitting 400HP unless he forgot to mention a turbo upgrade. My mods are almost identical to his (minus the light weight pulley and the FMIC) and I'm only hitting about 330bhp

If anything, pay the money for a pre-purchase inspection!
These car's are pretty fast right out the box. If you find a stock one just slowly build it over time.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 PM

Ya it doesn't look like he knows much about what he is talking about. I expected someone with an S60R to know alot more about cars. He talks about silly stuff like "does over 100 octane raise performance." Anyone should know that the octane rating is only necessary if you need its pre-ignition combustion capabilities. Other than that, the fuel is just fuel with the same work potential. I believe he did have all his mods pro-installed which is a definite plus and it appears he only ran 110 octane leaded fuel once. I will most likely just wait and prepare better for a purchase. Can anyone tell me maybe the 5 most important things to know about the S60R?

Thanks everyone for their help. Also noticed that most SwedeSpeed members are total dbags when it comes to replying to posts. Thank god this forum is full of some more cool-headed folks who actually show some concern for each other.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 PM

That's SS for ya. Lol. But when it comes to R knowledge, They are way above any other forum, so you'll need to spend some time there.

Top 5 things to look into when buying an R??? Look through the R Forum on SS. There are countless posts about what to look for when buying an R, as well as the first things you should do to the car after the purchase.

The biggest thing to know, is that the R's are way more costly to repair then your 850 or the regular S60's, So Proper maintenance is a must! And if at all possible, get an extend warranty! It will pay for it's self if the active chassis starts leaking, or you blow up your angle/collar gear or the DEM fails (all very likely possibilities)
Try to get as much of the service history as you can.
Make sure the AWD works (there's multiple failure points).
Radiators are prone to leaking.
PS pump are a common failure.

1st thing to do after you purchase is to remove the exhaust bracket and do a resonator delete. The bracket hangs too low and if hit on a speed bump or something similar will shove the exhaust into the drive shaft and bend it. All which will come out of your pocket to fix. The resonator is the source of "rain squeal". In the rain or snow the bottom of the resonator cools so fast that the top expands and rubbs on the drive shaft causing a really high pitch squealing noise. Volvo offers a bracket to drop the resonator lower but it's a lot cheaper to just remove the thing and put a straight pipe in it's place.

Search through SS and you'll pick up a few more things as well.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 AM

Now that I found a job to start my career I am getting awfully serious about purchasing this guy

Is a BOV possible?
I know if the S60 measures air prior to the intake system (like most cars) then a BOV will cause a rich condition due to the loss of air which the MAF has accounted for. Is there a workaround for this or is it better to just not touch the subject?

Also I would definitely get an upgraded turbo and didn't know which ones are available. I know many of the 850 guys like to buy the s60 turbo as an upgrade but when you have an s60 where do you go? I was looking at the K24 from Viva performance. Looks pretty legit.

Also Ill probably do 3 gauges in the guy and I have chosen boost gauge and wideband A/F. What should my third be? Oil pressure? Exhaust temperature (although kind of repetitive with A/F)?

Whats the best exhaust system for a deep throaty sound?

I was thinking about a black S60R approximately 2005. I would paint the wheels black and have the indented "R" painted red. Also to contrast this I was going to do red calipers with a black "R" painted on these. Probably red interior floor lighting. Was hoping to do the full Evolve bodykit (damn shame they changed their name to Elevate). Some custom made projector lenses and maybe some red angel eyes depending on how far my craft skills can take me. Finally some dim red LEDs to create an ominous glow behind the evolve grill.

Thanks guys for the chill attitudes.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Saleen9090
Now that I found a job to start my career I am getting awfully serious about purchasing this guy
Congrats on the job.

Is a BOV possible?
I know if the S60 measures air prior to the intake system (like most cars) then a BOV will cause a rich condition due to the loss of air which the MAF has accounted for. Is there a workaround for this or is it better to just not touch the subject?
No work around. There a few guys running BOV's that are not having too many issues. But the ME7 gets really finicky with the metered air being vented into the atmosphere. Best thing to do is get the Forge HD CBV from ViVA. It's straight plug and play and wont cause any issues, and can handle the extra boost of a tuned car.

Also I would definitely get an upgraded turbo and didn't know which ones are available. I know many of the 850 guys like to buy the s60 turbo as an upgrade but when you have an s60 where do you go? I was looking at the K24 from Viva performance. Looks pretty legit.
Lots of good results from ViVA's hybrid K24/26 turbo. Tigers on SS was putting down somewhere in the mid 300'swhp on that turbo and a stage II tune from iPd. I'll probably be going that route myself so I can make the S60R faster then my 850R again. Lol.
Also keep in mind that iPd is getting really close to having their Stage III kit ready to go. There goal is between 400-425bhp out of that kit.
Been a few years in the making but will be very solid when it's finally released. Here is some more info on it.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...age-3-for-S60R

Also Ill probably do 3 gauges in the guy and I have chosen boost gauge and wideband A/F. What should my third be? Oil pressure? Exhaust temperature (although kind of repetitive with A/F)?
Good call on the boost and AFR gauges.
Maybe a volt gauge. Might help with diagnosing any electrical issues.

Where are you planning on placing the gauges? There is no 3gauge pod for the P2 cars like there is in the 850's. There's an air bag in the pillar that will shoot those gauges right into you if it goes off. There have been some custom setup done but not to many companies will take the liability risk of selling one.

Whats the best exhaust system for a deep throaty sound?
Elevate has the best sounding exhaust and DP combo and will probably fit the bill for you very nicely. Though I really like my Ferrita Exhaust with the Resonator delete.

I was thinking about a black S60R approximately 2005. I would paint the wheels black and have the indented "R" painted red. Also to contrast this I was going to do red calipers with a black "R" painted on these. Probably red interior floor lighting. Was hoping to do the full Evolve bodykit (damn shame they changed their name to Elevate). Some custom made projector lenses and maybe some red angel eyes depending on how far my craft skills can take me. Finally some dim red LEDs to create an ominous glow behind the evolve grill.
Really like the idea of the R being painted to offset the contrast a bit.
PC the calipers, They will last much better then painting them. Ask me how I know. Lol.
sweetgfx.com sells a black vinyl R's for the brakes for exactly what you're talking about.
There has been an attempt to retro fit projectors into the R headlights but it throws codes and gives the bulb failure warning constantly. If you can come up with the coin, get the euro spec head lights. They have a proper high beam and look way better then the US spec lights. They are very expensive though.
Euro Spec Bi-Xenon Headlamp, S60R/V70R - ViVA Performance

Keep in mind any red lights on the front of your car will get you a quick ticket if a cop sees you. The red lighting is a little too much for me but could look okay on the car if it was parked for a show or something.

Last edited by Mad Matt; 05-04-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 PM

I think I found a pretty sweet deal on an S60R now. Its history is a bit unusual, it was a reposession that my local dealer bought and is now holding on the lot. The previous owner had a ton of maintenance checks done (almost once a month). I believe this can be really bad or really good. Either he was **** about maintenance (good) or he constantly thought the car had problems and required checkups (bad).

The Carfax is listed below. Let me know your opinions on the subject. Also isn't it odd to default on a loan after the fifth year of payments? Honestly, ANY opinion is greatly appreciated, please comment on anything you wish.

I willl be checking back on the forums all day Friday. I plan to make a deal on Saturday so prompt responses are also appreciated. thanks guys.

09/07/2005 Volvo Motors
Vehicle manufactured
Titanium grey pearl exterior
Grey/blue interior

09/23/2005 US Customs
Vehicle exported from
Belgium
and imported to
Newark, NJ

09/27/2005 Volvo Motors
Vehicle shipped to original dealer
in Shrewsbury, NJ

11/03/2005 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Pre-delivery inspection completed

02/25/2006 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Pre-delivery inspection completed
Washed/detailed
Radio/sound system checked
Seatbelts checked
Steering/suspension lubed
Body noise checked
A/C and heating system checked

02/25/2006 35 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Vehicle sold

03/03/2006 New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Little Silver, NJ
Registration issued or renewed
First owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
Vehicle color noted as Gray

04/01/2006 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
Interior trim checked
Body noise checked
Engine checked

06/29/2006 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Brakes checked

08/29/2006 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Recommended maintenance performed

12/02/2006 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Battery/charging system checked
A/C and heating system checked
Transmission checked

01/25/2007 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Seatbelts checked
Airbag system checked

06/26/2007 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Tire condition and pressure checked

08/27/2007 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Steering/suspension lubed
Body noise checked
Window regulator repaired

11/12/2007 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Transmission checked
Front wiper blades/refills replaced

01/12/2008 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Interior trim checked
Electrical system checked

03/29/2008 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo

06/18/2008 18,947 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Tire repaired

10/09/2008 20,771 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Interior trim checked

02/18/2009 22,831 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Axles checked

04/13/2009 23,396 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Washer pump replaced

06/11/2009 23,780 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Left front window switch replaced
Axle shaft replaced
Axles checked

01/07/2010 26,202 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Fuel filler door replaced
Steering/suspension checked

05/17/2010 26,484 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Body noise checked
Steering/suspension checked
Seatbelts checked

10/19/2010 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
Brakes checked
Battery/charging system checked
Body noise checked

06/16/2011 26,846 Red Bank Volvo
Red Bank, NJ
732-741-5886
Red Bank Volvo
Axles checked

07/01/2011 27,018 Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
San Antonio, TX Title issued or updated
Vehicle repossessed

07/18/2011 Auto Auction
New York Listed as a fleet vehicle

Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Depending on the price, it could be a pretty good deal. Id have the dealer take a look at some if the things that were checked on in the carfax and I'd take it on a lengthy test drive to see if you notice any of the noises that were mentioned as well as making sure everything is performing properly.

Not really that uncommon right now to see a loan default after 5 years based on the current job market. So that wouldn't worry me at all.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Its around $22,000 for a 2006 R with 27k miles. Called the previous owner's dealership (where the car was serviced) to talk about the history. The guy said that it appears the owner was just really **** about getting something checked as soon as he heard a noise or vibration. He said this is common for **** drivers with an active warranty. He is a neutral entity in the matter and said the vehicle history did not appear alarming to him.

The reprogrammed computer was for something as simple as resetting the cars automatic locks system.

Also, the "axle shaft replaced" happened because the guy was getting a loud clunk noise when shifting from Park to Drive. Replacing the axle shaft solved this (as noted at the dealer)

It is nice to know the dealer that did all the service because they share with me details that Carfax doesn't, however, they refuse to forward it to me for obvious legal reasons.

Since owning a '95 850 T5, I know how a turbocharged Volvo should feel. I think that gives me an advantage. I have never owned AWD, however. Any tips for tomorrow of how I could really test drive this thing well?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:09 PM

First thing about the AWD, is there should be zero torque steer when you get on it. If there is, the AWD is not working.
Go from reverse to drive and a few times (moving a few feet each way) to see if there is any clicking noises coming from the wheel area. Search "axle Ping" on swedespeed.

Other then that, take it through the streets and on the freeway to see how it drives. Play with the 4C settings to get a feel for the ride quality in all three settings.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:27 PM

The test drive went excellent. I could not find any weak point with the car. Also, drove it to a Volvo service center during the test drive and the mechanic said good deal. The R is officially mine. I bought the car on Saturday and am super excited to pick it up on Wednesday!!! I went ahead and attached some photos.

Where can I get a decent repair manual? I usually buy Haynes manuals because they are top notch but I heard they only made one for the 2001-2008 S60 and it is not much help for the R model. Your thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Old 850 owner looking at S60R-vg_800.jpg   Old 850 owner looking at S60R-xq_800.jpg   Old 850 owner looking at S60R-4w_800.jpg   Old 850 owner looking at S60R-gddg.jpg  
Old 08-14-2011, 08:53 PM

Very cool, congrats on the purchase!!! Most people get a copy of VIDA or VADIS from eBay. I have a copy of VADIS that I got off there and has helped me out a whole lot.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by unirok
Dont be dumb $16,500 lol thats an insult but thats just my feelings good luck though. I see you still driving your current car for a long time to come
Took me 6 months since that comment. Define a "long" time haha.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 PM

Just an initial thought after owning the car for a week...

Consumer Reports gave a "fair" rating for engine cooling. I can totally see what they are talking about now. Whenever I drive long enough for my engine to heat up, every component under the hood gets red hot. In other words, I can't put my hand even on the plastic fuse cover (far away from engine) without getting a burn.

Not to mention the turbo to intercooler pipe that runs over the engine gets the hottest. Surely that is not good for engine efficiency.

Is this normal for an S60R? Why does it get sooooo hot compared to every other car I have driven?