Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Outside door lock keeps freezing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Outside door lock keeps freezing

What is up with the door lock that keeps freezing tight, can't turn it a little. It snowed last night, moisture in the air and this morning the lock won't turn, I could probably break the key off if I tried to turn the lock.

Now if Volvo in their infinite wisdom had not gone to one lock only on the drivers door, I could go to the passengers door and open up the car. Thank goodness the key fob battery is good and the automatic opening system works.

On another note what is it with one lock on the entire car but that is probably another discussion.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just blow some lubricant into the lock to prevent water from getting in there. Most car companies are getting rid of all the door locks to save money. My dad can unlock and start his car from his iPhone....lol.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:36 AM

I've done that several different times with WD40 and then graphite lock spray. This morning it was a bit better, still frozen but some pressure on the key and it moved. Current wind chill temp is 9F and not bad compared to other places in the USA.

Getting rid of door locks to save money? I am getting fed up with car companies and their "saving money". Ok so no key, when that darn computer board goes bad, the one that opens the door......you are out of luck. Plus instead of being out a bit of $ money for a new lock, you need to shell out a lot of $$$$$$$$ money for a computer board.

I was reading an article about how hackers can from a distance hack the computer controlled cars and control those cars. Imagine the fun when we have the totally computer controlled cars with no driver, Some hacker fool hacks the car and then takes your car into the not so good part of town.

More and more I'm starting to like pre-1995 cars. Find one that is in perfect shape, good maintenance records and away I go.

Originally Posted by Hylton
Just blow some lubricant into the lock to prevent water from getting in there. Most car companies are getting rid of all the door locks to save money. My dad can unlock and start his car from his iPhone....lol.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so sorry but I'm so glad this isn't just me.

I got my car last fall & the same thing happened IIRC all winter last winter & again already this winter.

My biggest problem is the remote opener doesnt open the drivers door so I need to manually reach around the B post to open the Drivers door. Just grabbed silicone spray to hopefully fix it.

Originally Posted by urdrwho
What is up with the door lock that keeps freezing tight, can't turn it a little. It snowed last night, moisture in the air and this morning the lock won't turn, I could probably break the key off if I tried to turn the lock.

Now if Volvo in their infinite wisdom had not gone to one lock only on the drivers door, I could go to the passengers door and open up the car. Thank goodness the key fob battery is good and the automatic opening system works.

On another note what is it with one lock on the entire car but that is probably another discussion.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:03 PM

I drive an older v40 and have already broken two door handles from trying to yank the frozen door open. I had to resort to climbing in through the trunk the other morning to prevent a 3rd breakage.