Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S60 & V60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/)
-   -   Passenger door lock knob broken or loose (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/passenger-door-lock-knob-broken-loose-46644/)

peetnik 10-19-2010 09:30 AM

Passenger door lock knob broken or loose

This past weekend I noticed my passenger door lock knob was not going up or down when I locked/unlocked the doors. It actually does not appear connected to anything, as I can press it down into the door, or lift it way out. The door is locking and unlocking fine.

Anyone experienced this before? Is this something I could reconnect myself?

thanks

titaniums6025t 10-20-2010 07:58 PM

can you pull it all the way out? no matter what you will have to remove the door panel to repair. if you are not intimidated by this, it should be an easy repair.

patsfn2 10-21-2010 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by peetnik (Post 240851)
This past weekend I noticed my passenger door lock knob was not going up or down when I locked/unlocked the doors. It actually does not appear connected to anything, as I can press it down into the door, or lift it way out. The door is locking and unlocking fine.

Anyone experienced this before? Is this something I could reconnect myself?

thanks

sounds like your actuator which works that particular lock has gone bad, if you are able to lock and unlock your door but when you use your keyless remote or the switch inside the car and the other doors are locking when you do this, then the actuator for that particular door is 1 of 2 things...1) gone bad, or 2) the rod for that door is not attached to the mechanism is which case you will have to remove the panel on the door to see! please post your findings good luck :)

peetnik 10-22-2010 11:32 AM

I tackled this last night....it was a really simple problem: the rod had become unattached from the mechanism. No idea how, but I simply snapped it back in and put the panel back on. The connection did not inspire me with confidence, however. If it comes loose again, I'll probably put a drop of glue on the connection.

patsfn2 10-22-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by peetnik (Post 241297)
I tackled this last night....it was a really simple problem: the rod had become unattached from the mechanism. No idea how, but I simply snapped it back in and put the panel back on. The connection did not inspire me with confidence, however. If it comes loose again, I'll probably put a drop of glue on the connection.

very good....I told you it was 1 of 2 things, with that having been said and the fact that the rod had come loose from the actuator you may have an issue with the piece that holds the rod in place having a stress crack in it and if it cracked the rod will have a tendency to come loose...I if does again you may want to use some safety wire and glue I don't think the glue itself would hold! good luck and glad you fixed your problem.