Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!!

So recently i had some issues with my 2012 s60 t6. Ive heard all the horror stories of running out of oil etc. The other day my car seemed hot but started sputtering and threw a thermostat in the display. I turned it off immediately. After seeing some smoke from under the hood. I started looking for a problem. The smoke wasnt from the engine. It was from a fried ignition coil. So i checked the oil level and it had zero oil on the dipstick. I had just drove the car 2hr and 20 min. So i assumed it was empty. I got 4qts and put it in. Tried starting and it would turn just no start. Towed it home and realized that coil was fried and needed replaced, the ignition coil fuse under the hood was popped. So i replaced the coil and tried starting with no luck. So i replaced the plugs and bam it was running. I checked the oil level and it was right in the sweet spot. Now 2 to 3 days later i was driving and a poof of exhaust came out the back of car and then nothing. It was fine. Today i checked the oil level and now it seems to be over full. Could it be that this engine when warm is using all its capacity? Showing nothing on the dipstick and now that its cool for days it shows overfull? Is this what caused the smoking out of the exhaust? Please help!!

Fried ignition coil

Old 11-29-2020, 11:36 AM
Default Volvo S60 2012 Engine failed at 82/k

Did ever get help with your issue. i 'm having the same problems. I'm trying to get aid from Volvo to repair or place.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:31 PM
Default Reply

I never got any help with mine as its out of its orginal warranty. I did buy an aftermarket warranty for 3yrs 36k. I was told could take it anywhere. By this time i had already replaced coils, and what i thought i needed for oil and had it running again. If you burned it up your probably screwed. Lucky for me i realized it was really hot and pulled over before the motor fried. I still have the car and i just constantly checking it on oil, i love the car and didnt want to get rid of it. You can try to talk to your dealer or vovlo headquarters but not sure if they will help. This is a major problem in the straight 6 up until they changed over to the 4cyl. If you have other questions just lrt me know..

Old 11-30-2020, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Running 3-4 quarts down can certainly overheat parts of the engine - which may have added to the coil self-destructing. My first consideration is what would cause the engine to consume that much oil, and I can only think of two things 1) internal engine damage (rings/head gasket) 2) failed oil separator in the PCV allowing the engine to suck in the blow-by oil normally returned to the engine. A compression/leak down test is needed to see if item 1 is in play otherwise I'd look into the PCV system. As to the wandering oil level on the dipstick, I'd suspect you may not have had the dipstick fully inserted or perhaps the cuff on the stick is moving around (assuming you have one... so you may want to check. To be safe, I'd make sure the stick is properly inserting and then drain off any excess. Next oil change, measure the exact oil quantity and see where that measure on the stick. I can't think of anything that would vary the oil level that significantly from cold to warm...

Old 12-01-2020, 09:24 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I second what MT6127 said. Also, when adding oil, don't just dump oil in your car. Too much oil is just as bad as not enough. Check the level as you add it. As far as the exhaust poof of smoke, what color was it? I assume it had a sort of blue hue to it since you're having oil issues. And as far as oil level changing, maybe you parked on a hill? The oil level changes slightly when cold vs hot but it wont go from nothing on the dipstick to over-full. 2012 car might put you in that pcv range. PCV failure usually comes with a rough idle, which may not be super obvious to notice. And since you replaced all the plugs too, burning oil might of been their downfall.