Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

What engine oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine oil do you use?

I was just wondering what oils people were running in their cars, and have you seen any benefits from said oil?

Like I ran Mobil 1 20w50 for the first 5 years of my 850's life (took delivery with 2 miles on the car) and then switched over to BelRay EXL 20w50 motorcycle oil.

Ive been running it in the car for 10 years changing it ever 3k to 3500k,and have had NO major engine issues. Aside from the typical PCV issue.

Oil changes still come out with a dark honey color, never black. Its not breaking down as quick.

Last edited by MattyXXL; 03-20-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Black oil doesn't mean it's breaking down. It means the detergent additives in the oil are doing their job. Oil doesn't really 'breakdown'.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I use the Castrol full Synthetic in all of my cars.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by CCampbell0001
Black oil doesn't mean it's breaking down. It means the detergent additives in the oil are doing their job. Oil doesn't really 'breakdown'.
ummmm, you are wrong..

When motor oil is heated beyond a certain temperature, it will start to degrade, even if there is no oxygen present. This is called thermal degradation and causes the oil to change viscosity (a form of oil breakdown). The thermal stability of motor oil cannot be improved by use of additives but it can be improved by refining out the same compounds that decrease the oxidation resistance.

Not all oils are detergent oils.

Think about it, look at the consistancy of your oil when you put in, and when you drain it.. C'mon Really?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
ummmm, you are wrong..

When motor oil is heated beyond a certain temperature, it will start to degrade, even if there is no oxygen present. This is called thermal degradation and causes the oil to change viscosity (a form of oil breakdown). The thermal stability of motor oil cannot be improved by use of additives but it can be improved by refining out the same compounds that decrease the oxidation resistance.

Not all oils are detergent oils.

Think about it, look at the consistancy of your oil when you put in, and when you drain it.. C'mon Really?
Ummmm, I am right. The oil itself doesn't breakdown. The additives that are in the oil to create multi-viscosity (viscosity modifiers) shear and can change the viscosity to closer to the base, but the oil itself doesn't breakdown. All multi-viscosity oils are detergent oils, with the exception of some short run oils designed for specific applications, but I imagine no-one here puts SAE in their car.

Yes. Really.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Whaaahhhh! I'm not 100% sure what is going on with the oil in my car but something is going on where it is not doing the job at 5,000 miles as it is at 100 miles (when I put it in). I think the main reason oil is thinner when I drain it, as it is when I added it, is the fact that it is usually hot when drained. When I added it, it was 70 degrees, when I drained it, it was over 160 degrees. I guess that's why they recommend you drain the oil while hot, more liquid like instead of syrup like when added. Get more of the old stuff out.

Here is a link to some motor oil information. From what I seen at a quick glance, it's not even to good to use oil that has been sitting in the garage for several years, even new.
Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

From what I understand, as oil heats up and gets near it's limit temp, it changes it charactistics and can get burnt or gummy. This is likely not reached in our motors because they are liquid cooled and rarely get over 220 degrees f. I assume that means that an immediate oil change is in order if a car is over heated.

Last edited by rspi; 03-22-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Here they say that "all oils break down". Motor Oil Breakdown What really Causes It? : Motor Oil

Here they say that "oil does not break down but the additives do": http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4673408...motor-oil.html

Change it because it gets dirty: Car Engine Oil - Breakdown Cover consumer guides from BreakdownCover.co.uk

A little about synthetic: How Does Synthetic Motor Oil Differ From Standard Motor Oil? | eHow.com

Last edited by rspi; 03-22-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-22-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
I use the Castrol full Synthetic in all of my cars.
Im always looking at that, especially cause the gallon jugs are about $10.00 cheaper than the Bel-Ray that I order. But from what a couple friends have told me they feel it protects better than anything they have used before.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by CCampbell0001
Ummmm, I am right.

Yes. Really.
Listen, Im not going to turn this into a pissing contest.. enough, go take a walk.
If you dont want to contribute something positive to the post keep your opinions to your self..You can believe whatever you wish, Your not going to change my thoughts bud.
It was a simple question of "What Oil Do you Use?" Thank You, and Good Day..

Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Administrator

I was reading over some of that oil info and they say that we use multi-viscosity motor oil that we use gets thicker as it gets hotter. That's strange how it thickens as it heats up and is thinner when cold to aid in circulation.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 PM

Listen, Im not going to turn this into a pissing contest.. enough, go take a walk.
Just for future reference, if you want it to seem like you aren't making something a pissing match, don't start your post with:
ummmm, you are wrong..
and end it with:

C'mon Really?
because you come off looking like a jackass.
If you dont want to contribute something positive to the post keep your opinions to your self..You can believe whatever you wish, Your not going to change my thoughts bud.
Facts are facts, but don't let them get in the way of what you wanna believe. I'll continue to believe what I learned about motor oil from the Ashland petroleum engineers who spent 3 days educating me and several other Roush Racing teammates when they sponsored the 6 car and Mark Martin.
It was a simple question of "What Oil Do you Use?" Thank You, and Good Day..
And good day to you as well.

Last edited by CCampbell0001; 03-23-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 PM

a whole 3 days...... that defiantly trumps my masters in computer engineering and biomolecular physics from NYU. But anyway..
Good name drops though... I like mark martin..