Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Please help! very important

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! very important

I just recently purchased my first volvo, its a 2004 volvo s60-r. its supost to be all wheel drive and 300hp. the rear wheel drive part isnt working. it was raining earlier and i gave it some gas to merge into traffic when the front tires where just spinning like crazy. isnt the rear supost to engadge when the front tires spin? also isnt my traction controll supost to help that too? why is nothing working? please help i just bough it for 15k at a dealership and they said sorry cant look at it, its sold as is.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's either your collar/angle gear or the DEM. Fairly common on the S60R/V70R's.
If the car was sold as an AWD vehicle then it should be AWD. As is won't have a warranty but IMHO, is should be working as advertised.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 PM

Your the one helping with my intake!

Found out today that it was the angel gear. the shop said that there is tons of leaking fluid from it. any idea how much itle cost?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 PM

Sure am. Lol.

It's a LOT.
I can't remember off the top of my head but it's in the thousands... I'll see if I can't find out what others have paid. I still think the dealer should be on the hook for selling you an AWD car that's not functioning properly.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 PM

Read post #29. Dealer quoted him $3,200.00 to fix the angle gear.

Swedespeed Forums - Never replace another AWD collar/sleeve... EVER again!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 PM

****.. i have been talking to dealer and they said it was sold as is no warrenties or anything. they wont help a friend of mine purchased another s60r not to long ago and has same problem but hes too lazy to care, he said its not winter time no need really.

Spent 15k on a car that i over paid for in the first place, to have massive problems. I should sue the place i took for my pre purchase inspection.

My oil light flashes sometimes at idle, i think my oil pump is now going out. son of a *****.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by range hadies
****.. i have been talking to dealer and they said it was sold as is no warrenties or anything. they wont help a friend of mine purchased another s60r not to long ago and has same problem but hes too lazy to care, he said its not winter time no need really.

Spent 15k on a car that i over paid for in the first place, to have massive problems. I should sue the place i took for my pre purchase inspection.

My oil light flashes sometimes at idle, i think my oil pump is now going out. son of a *****.
Could be your oil pressure sender. What do you see when you look into the oil filler? Clean? Dark? Sludge?

With oil pressure problems due to sludge it's worth trying an Auto-Rx treatment first.

Dealers.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:29 PM

I went and checked the cap its black with little rust things on it. its not sludge but can be scraped off if i do it hard. kind of like corrosaion

Old 05-23-2012, 02:22 PM

Who did the inspection for you??? I would be in touch with them.
How long ago did you buy the car?
Where do you live? Do you need AWD?
Name the dealer so we can steer clear of them.

And can you fill out your location and add a signature with you car details (see mine below)? It's a lot easier to help those when all the info is right there.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 AM

AWD is very important, i live in boulder colorado near the mountains so its quite dangerous not to have. the people whom did my inspection i just found that was good friends with the dealership. so they did a group huddle to screw me over. im going to court and trying to get some money back, they didnt offer me to buy a warrenty or anything and im stuck with a 3k bill even though i just paid 15k

Old 05-24-2012, 01:00 AM

I have updated my location and cars ect.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 AM

I have updated my location and cars ect.
Thank you. Fill out you signature too. Honestly it really does help us out when answering questions.
Really dig the Passion Red R's.
Now go and get some winglets to finish up the OEM Aero kit!!!

AWD is very important, i live in boulder colorado near the mountains so its quite dangerous not to have. the people whom did my inspection i just found that was good friends with the dealership. so they did a group huddle to screw me over. im going to court and trying to get some money back, they didnt offer me to buy a warrenty or anything and im stuck with a 3k bill even though i just paid 15k
Living there I'd say it's very important too.
I'd explore the court route. And if it says AWD anywhere on the paper work, I'd present that as well indicating that the car has a functioning AWD system, not a broken AWD system. How long ago did you buy the car?

Here's some quick reading for more ideas.
Consumer Law: Car Purchase FAQ - Lawyers.com
If anything contact the BBB and file a complaint against the dealer and the inspection people.

Did you Buy the car from a Volvo dealer?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM

purchased it only 4 days ago, i signed up to this fourm when i bough it haha.

It wasnt a volvo dealer just some used dealer but they are cutting me a check today for 750 to help. im going to grab a used angle gear from a scrapyard and try to fix it that way.

these cars weigh as much as a semi! adding more weigh nooooo!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:02 PM

Glad they're at least doing that. I'd still try and get my money back from the people who did the inspection too.

If it's just the sleeve...
Swedespeed Forums - P2 V70/XC70/S60/S60R/V70R AWD Angle Gear Sleeve Kit (Manual Transmission)

Angle Gear for sale on SS...
Swedespeed Forums - Angle Gear '04 - 80k kms

Good luck with fixing it!

Yes they are heavy. There's been some guys that live in the year round sunny states that have actually removed the drive shaft to eliminate the weight. Lol.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sadly you over payed by a minimum of 5k...
also you did not properly inspect the car before buying...
the angle gear is pricey and you dont want to run the car long withouht it being repaired because it can get worse and will cost you more to fix. sometimes you just need to buckle down and fix it. but if it were me, i would give the dealer hell until they fixed it or compensated me at least half the cost of the repair, to the point of suing them under the lemon laws which do in fact apply to cars sold as is however they dont hold much weight.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 PM

As a matter of fact i have done plenty of things, lemon laws are only for new cars not used cars.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As a matter of fact I have done plenty of things, lemon laws are only for new cars not used cars.
I'm just saying, a friend of mine bought a Chevy HHR on CarMax
he had it for almost a month and the engine threw a piston, CarMax said sorry there's only a 5 day warranty and the judge said repair the car for him or replace it.
I know they are only on new cars but he wouldn't have gotten what he did if he didn't use the laws as leverage. but more than likely this was a fluke chance lol!