Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Purchased 2001 Volvo S60

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchased 2001 Volvo S60

Hello and thanks in advance for any advice or help you can lend.

I picked up this 2001 S60 with only 77,000 miles on it. I'm pretty excited. I have a couple questions though.

I was told to let the car sit idle and in park for 10 seconds before turning off to let the turbo shut down. Is there any truth to this?

Also, at the bottom of the center console is what looks like partition/compartment for something aftermarket you might want to install? It has a rubber little thumb handle on it that makes you think the compartment would open but it doesn't. Do you know what this is?

Can I clean this engine like any other (cover alternator, sensitive electronic components, etc..)?

Any other advice or tips anyone has on this vehicle?

Thanks again everyone for any help you can give me, really appreciated.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some seriously low mileage. Did you know the previous owner? Is there service history? The advice regarding the turbo is not bad advice. Basically by idling you are giving the turbo a chance to slow its spinning. It will lead to longer turbo life. Most people I know do not wait, and have had no issues with their turbos. But if you drive it hard, you should give it time to cool down before shut down.

Can you take a picture of the center console?

I don't normally need to clean the engine but when I do, I just use a shop rag and degreaser. I wouldn't recommend power washing at all.

I would suggest synthetic engine oil if you didn't already know. Also, the '01 model had a notoriously bad reputation for transmission failures. If you don't experience any symptoms now you might be safe. Keep up on transmission fluid services (Volvo claims the fluid is lifetime, but no fluid lasts a lifetime.) I have nearly 170k miles on my '01 and I have done a drain and fill every year and my trans is fine. The sticky at the top of the S60 sub-forum discusses which fluids will work in place of the Volvo fluid.

Find out, if you can, if the timing belt has been replaced. If not, plan on getting it done SOON. If it is the original belt, it's old and could break.

I don't know what your previous car history is like but if this is your first Volvo the internet is a great resource. This site is usually my first source when I am trouble-shooting an issue. If I can't find it I go to Google. The dealer is always my last resort. You will save a small fortune if you can do some of the simple items yourself.

Hope that was enough info to get you started.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01_fast_ride
That's some seriously low mileage. Did you know the previous owner? Is there service history? The advice regarding the turbo is not bad advice. Basically by idling you are giving the turbo a chance to slow its spinning. It will lead to longer turbo life. Most people I know do not wait, and have had no issues with their turbos. But if you drive it hard, you should give it time to cool down before shut down.

Can you take a picture of the center console?

I don't normally need to clean the engine but when I do, I just use a shop rag and degreaser. I wouldn't recommend power washing at all.

I would suggest synthetic engine oil if you didn't already know. Also, the '01 model had a notoriously bad reputation for transmission failures. If you don't experience any symptoms now you might be safe. Keep up on transmission fluid services (Volvo claims the fluid is lifetime, but no fluid lasts a lifetime.) I have nearly 170k miles on my '01 and I have done a drain and fill every year and my trans is fine. The sticky at the top of the S60 sub-forum discusses which fluids will work in place of the Volvo fluid.

Find out, if you can, if the timing belt has been replaced. If not, plan on getting it done SOON. If it is the original belt, it's old and could break.

I don't know what your previous car history is like but if this is your first Volvo the internet is a great resource. This site is usually my first source when I am trouble-shooting an issue. If I can't find it I go to Google. The dealer is always my last resort. You will save a small fortune if you can do some of the simple items yourself.

Hope that was enough info to get you started.
Thanks for the response.

I did not purchase it from a friend, but the person I did get it from had all the records of the services, etc.. I did forget to check on the timing belt and whether it had been replaced. I don't want to have that problem, did once with a Honda years ago and the car was never the same after it broke. Do you know about how much it costs to have the timing belt replaced?

I'm going to go through the engine and clean things up, oil change, etc.. Which oil do you prefer; Mobile1, Castrol..?

I'll get a pic up soon of the compartment on the center console I was talking about.

Thanks again

Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read timing belt services range from low-$400 to mid-$700. Now, keep in mind the lowest figure shop may not be using OE parts (which is still okay as long as high quality, but it doesn't carry the same price as a Volvo branded part), plus the high end figure might be doing additional work such as the tensioner and idler and water pump. It's been a few years since I had mine done but I think I paid about $550 for the timing belt and water pump at a local independent shop. Having all the items replaced at the same time is cheap insurance.

I don't really stay loyal to one brand over another. I typically go for one of those top brands that is on sale at the local parts store. I usually stock up on OE filters once a year from one of the site sponsors. If you have to buy one at the parts store take it out of the box and compare it with one from other brands. Not all are equal. More pleats=better filter.

I hope you enjoy owning your S60.