Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Question about changing the stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about changing the stereo?

I've just purchased a 2001 S60 T5 and I love everything about it except the stereo (I have no need for sound in the car in general if it isn't from my ipod) which I really want to change. I'm buying this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1303200...B.html?tp=5684

I've never bought from here before, nor changed a stereo (or anything else on a car as a matter of fact) but I've heard that crutchfield gives pretty good instructions and the kit comes free for my car.

I just want to know if putting the stereo in myself is a job that I should try to do? I'd really like to try if it's not something that can go terribly wrong. I've put a lot of things together and I'm great at following instructions I'm just not sure if this is something you need to know a lot about cars to do. I'm not even sure how to get the car's stereo out.

Oh and aside from the stereo from crutchfield might there be anything else I would need? Thanks.

Last edited by Aethera; 08-25-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume it has a HU-### model in it now, but call Crutchfield and make sure it comes with all the plates to make it look decent. I just seen an S80 with a double DIN nav. installed and it looked clean with the imitation wood surround. Radio removal is not hard.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides the head unit, you'll need a dash kit and a Wire harness adapter. You'll also need a method to connect the wire harness adapter that you buy to the head unit wire harness. The best method is solder and heat shrink, but you can use crimp style butt connectors as well, or as a LAST RESORT you can twist the wires together and tape them, but that is not recommended.

Removing the stereo requires removal of the climate control module (which really isn't a big deal, I'm just letting you know). You'll need a set of torx bits (actually only one bit, but I'm not sure which size, maybe T-20 or T-25) to remove the screws holding the climate and stereo units in place.

If you're simply looking for iPod integration though, you might want to consider an iPod adapter like this one: http://www.usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=35

There are others out there, but I have personal experience with this one. I used it for about a year on my 02 S60 and it worked great. It also provides a set of AUX inputs in case you have some other type of media player besides an iPod (like a cell phone, or satellite radio receiver).

You'll still have to pull the head unit out to hook up the adapter, but there's only one wire connection to make (as opposed to a dozen or so with a new head unit), and a plug to plug in to the factory unit.

*shameless plug*
Since I traded in my S60, I have that particular iPod adapter for sale in this thread: https://volvoforums.com/forum/sale-trade-archive-6/s60-ipod-adaptor-sale-44002/