Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Replace stereo precautions question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace stereo precautions question

Hi everyone, this is my first post, so I thought I would start it off with a stupid question or two.

I just purchased a new to me 2004 volvo s60 2.5t awd, my wife next week gets her new to her 2003 xc90 2.5t awd. With my car, I intend of filling it with high end SQ stereo equipment (rainbow professional, audison vrx, etc) I have lying around, this is not new to me, have been doing car stereo stuff for quite some time. Volvos on the other hand are very new to me. I have acquired the vadis app and have searched and have a pretty good understanding about how to do everything I want to do. I have also purchased the deitz equipment required to retain steering wheel controls with my DNX9140 (might be important for next question) My first and biggest question to those who have been around the block is:

When I remove the factory stereo, what precautions must I take so that I do not receive a computer error code (message on the dash), or is this unavoidable? What do I need to do to have it "reflashed"? once flashed will I have to reflash if I install another new stereo down the line? Will the deitz can bus / steering wheel control thing be disabled if I reflash? will the deitz thing prevent the error code to begin with? I see alot of posts regarding making sure the climate control unit is not unpluged, or at least that the battery has been removed for 10 minutes prior to unplugging why is this?

So that was my first question, i know its really like 10 questions, but they all center around a single question.. "What BS do I need to worry about to avoid a dealer visit?"

My next question... is the head unit completely self contained? I.E. Is there any amp somewhere that I should also remove with the head unit? My car does NOT have nav.

That about does it for my car. My wifes XC90 however... I would love to give her an aux in for her sat radio, is there an adapter that can do this?

Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Some have had problems with the radio itself not working unless it had the software.
When you get the software installed to remove the factory radio it removes the radio as a module in the network.

I would not unplug the Climate module at all.

If you have an amp it will be under the passenger side front seat.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by tech
Some have had problems with the radio itself not working unless it had the software.
When you get the software installed to remove the factory radio it removes the radio as a module in the network.
I won't have a problem with the radio not working.. Running all new wires. But once I remove the stereo will I get a message on the drivers LCD? Do I have to have it the software installed to get rid of this message? Will the deitz box spoof the radio on the network?

Old 03-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You might get a SRS message or another system message.
But not a radio message. I would recommend getting the software just so you know the network is still properly working.

Not sure about the deitz box though.

I have only fixed issues with cars. I do not own one to mess with.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Default where did you purchase the dietz adapter?

Hi,

Can you please tell me where you purchased the dietz adapter? Are you in the US? Did it work?

I'm about to have an installer put a DNX7140 in my new to me 05 V70 wagon. I was looking at a DNX7160 but I found a review that Navteq puts ads on the nav screen as part of their traffic service on that box and I don't want any ads on my nav screen. Any advice from your experience?

Thanks for any info you can share.

JudyB
Gainesville, GA, USA

Old 10-05-2010, 09:18 AM

I am in Rural MN, the adapter worked for what I needed it. however the software version on mine wasn't the latest so not everything worked as it should. The steering wheel wire works flawlessly, but it also has a reverse wire (for rear view cam), and a tach wire (for remote start), neither of these wires would work 100% of the time. They would work intermittently, so I just wired them the old fashion way.
I ordered the adapters from this site
http://www.kacsa-audio.hu/

I had to do it via several google translated emails.
Part 61336 - USD - 58.-
Part 61406 - USD - 13.-
Part 61303 - USD - 279.-
Shipping to the US is USD 15.-
The total sum is USD 365.-

It also took a while to get the parts.

As far as the traffic service, I have never used any as I don't live in an area where that would have any value. Just using the nav there should be no ads.

Last edited by grunge; 10-05-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:29 AM

I should also follow up and show off my install.

I dynomatted the entire vehicle, installed rainbow platinum 3 ways in the front, dynaudio rear fill, audison amplifiers, a rainbow center channel, 2x 10" subs, and audison bitone sound processor, the kenwood DNX9140 HU, reverse cam, Motorola IHF1000 bluetooth (the kenwood one is garbage), two batteries... more

All to Usac standards, I have even won a couple of shows with this install.

Attached Thumbnails Replace stereo precautions question-406.jpg   Replace stereo precautions question-342.jpg   Replace stereo precautions question-352.jpg   Replace stereo precautions question-135.jpg  
Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 AM

few more pics

BTW, my wifes XC90 is a PITA to do any work to.

Attached Thumbnails Replace stereo precautions question-410.jpg   Replace stereo precautions question-131.jpg  
Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Default very nice - how did you know what parts?

Looks nice. A lot of work too! I'm disappointed to hear about the Bluetooth tho. While I'm not fond of Bluetooth, I did plan to use it for long trips. I'd read the Kenwood Bluetooth is by Parrot and I'd read a review that said the Parrot Bluetooth is good. Maybe just not the way Kenwood implemented it?

Can I ask how you determined what part numbers to order? I searched their site for these part numbers and they don't come up. I searched for Dietz and something did come up but it's all foreign. Did you just call them or email them directly to ask what you needed? How did you know to contact these guys? I'm wondering if they still sell it.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

judyb

Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Very nice install. Looks really clean. Did you keep the steering wheel controls? I installed recently a Pioneer x710bt nav unit. It works great but I could not find an adapter that would enable to keep the steering wheel controls.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 AM

The Deitz adapters allowed me to retain the steering wheel controls. I needed these three parts
Part 61336 - USD - 58.-<-wire harness for S60
Part 61406 - USD - 13.<-Kenwood specific adapter, for other brands different part
Part 61303 - USD - 279.<-Brain box

I did alot of searching to determine those are the parts I needed. I think there were a few threads on speedswede that went into those parts.

Also when I contacted http://www.kacsa-audio.hu/ they confirmed that those were the parts I needed. Google translate is very handy when buying volvo stuff.