Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Replacement Brake Rotors - Was I Ripped Off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Brake Rotors - Was I Ripped Off?

I took my 2007 S60 with 16,000 miles in to my Volvo dealership over the weekend to have them look at my brakes. They just didn't feel right when I would apply them - especially at speeds over 35 MPH. According to the service manager, the rear rotors had rusted (I didn't see any by just looking through the wheel) and needed replacing. He told me Volvo would not warranty the replacements due to the rust. He then gave me the option of replacing these with Volvo rotors or aftermarket rotors. I opted for the aftermarket rotors (these appear to be manufactured by Aimco part #34206).

When the tech took it for a test drive again, the sevice manager said about 80% of the problem has been resolved. But they are now going to check the front rotors to make sure they are not warped. If they were, he would be able to replace these under warranty. Indeed they were. He replaced these with the Volvo rotors.

I have a couple concerns:
  • In looking at the replacement rear rotors, these do not appear to be new. They look like they were used and had been turned to create a new surface. Have a look and let me know what you think:

• Secondly, is it true that Volvo doesn't cover anything under warranty having to do with rust that's beyond 12 months? I wonder if all along, the service manager knew it was the front rotors that were giving me this problem but sold it as a rear rotor problem to make some money.
Any input will be helpful.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 04-29-2010, 01:27 PM

I put new rotors on my car a few months back, the surface looked that out of the box, I think the way to tell if they were used is the thickness of the rotor itself.

Interesting about the rust, all steel rotors rust, period, mine rust if I go on vacation and don't drive the car for a couple of weeks. I am surprised a car with 17K miles would need new rotors or that Volvo would not cover them, you should call Volvo and ask them.

Mark

Old 04-30-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by MarksS60
I put new rotors on my car a few months back, the surface looked that out of the box, I think the way to tell if they were used is the thickness of the rotor itself.

Interesting about the rust, all steel rotors rust, period, mine rust if I go on vacation and don't drive the car for a couple of weeks. I am surprised a car with 17K miles would need new rotors or that Volvo would not cover them, you should call Volvo and ask them.

Mark
+1

Don't know much about cars but I always assumed that rotor rust was normal if a car was sitting outside, and it would just get removed the next time you drive the car.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 AM

As far as i can see on the pics your rotor looks like it should when new, A repaired rotor dont have that kind of surface finish.
I have seen when they turned warped rotors as a test at a automotive dealer and they dont look like that, The results was
also not good they became warped very soon again and it was better to just replace the rotor with a new.

Brake hard once or twice per week to remove the surface rust that will appear on the rear discs.

Last edited by Magnus308; 04-30-2010 at 11:47 AM.