Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing Right Front Headlamp Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Right Front Headlamp Assembly

I just purchased a 2004 S60 and the right front headlamp collects condensation. The dealer claims that the lamp is cracked and the repair, parts and labor, is $680. I plan on purchasing a used or replacement lamp assembly and replacing the old lamp myself. Can you provide some advice on tools required and level of difficulty? How many screws / bolts are on the bottom of the lamp assembly?
Thanks,
Gary

Old 05-17-2006, 01:23 AM
Default RE: Replacing Right Front Headlamp Assembly

I havent done this myself but converting to an R headlight is a pretty common mod, so it cant be that difficult

Old 05-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It will take you a little while to do.
You need to Loosen/Remove the Bumper cover to get the light out.

There is one screw in the wheel well that will need to be loosened then pushed in to release the Catch.
Then you will need to drill out the Rivets going into the bumper cover from the wheel well.
Next Remove the 2 screws holding the bumper to the Car under the Black molding. The molding pops off.
Next remove the clips under the hood holding the top of the bumper cover to the Radiator support.
Then you should be able to slide the bumper out some to see the screws for the Headlight assembly.
I always loosen only the side I am replacing. You can slide the one side out some and get to the screws. The one side closest to the Fender has a black cover over the screw. This is what I do. With a pair of wire cutters cut a notch out so you can get to the screw.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:01 PM

Great advice. I tried to remove the RH side of the bumper cover, without removing the rivets in the splash shield, but there is something holding the bumper cover to the fender. I suspect, as you've mention, that I need to remove the (2) screws, that are holding the bumper to the fender, behind the splash shield. I think I can remove the push pins that are on top of the bumper cover to the rad support with a thin screwdriver and needle nose pliers. When I go to re-assemble the bumper cover and splash shield, where can I obtain the same type or rivets?

Old 05-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The push pins push the center in one click then lift up with your fingers.

The rivets you migth want to buy from the Dealer to be safe for the right size.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:37 PM
raj

ORIGINAL: gstevens2

Great advice. I tried to remove the RH side of the bumper cover, without removing the rivets in the splash shield, but there is something holding the bumper cover to the fender. I suspect, as you've mention, that I need to remove the (2) screws, that are holding the bumper to the fender, behind the splash shield. I think I can remove the push pins that are on top of the bumper cover to the rad support with a thin screwdriver and needle nose pliers. When I go to re-assemble the bumper cover and splash shield, where can I obtain the same type or rivets?

If you look closely inside the splash shield (not behind splash shield) you will see a torx scerw ( If working on the passenger side turn your wheels left and you will see it). No need to remove the rivets. Once both screws are removed, remove the bumper trims ( located on the top left and right sides of the license plate) with a pry tool. Once you get them off you will see to bolts in the front of bumper, remove them and pull foward and bumper will come off.

Raj

Old 06-03-2006, 08:55 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. Removing the bumper cover is not a huge job, and is not that time consuming. The fastener count is, (2) bolts (front) to the bumper, located under the bumper guard panels, (6) push pins, (2) torx screws (loosen and push forward). Pull, from the wheel well, the bumper cover outboard while pulling the bumper cover forward. If the headlamps have wipers, rotate the black cover at the stem of the wiper and pull forward / rotate. Loosen, using a 8mm wrench to remove the nut. Apply slight twist / wiggle motion while pulling the wiper arm forward. Disconnect the black washer fluid line.