Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 2.5T AWD with pulsating sound from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 2.5T AWD with pulsating sound from the rear

Hi there,

We have a 2003 S60 2.5T AWD tiptronic with 60.000 km. Car was bought in July last year. Really a wonderful machine and a very acceptable alternative for the Subaru Impreza Turbo wich my wife really hates for its looks.

Since the purchase there is an annoying and pulsating sound at the rear of the car. The sound starts at 70 km/hr and stops at 100 km/hr. The most noice is made at around 90 km/hr. The puls is approximately 1 second long from start to finish and grows / dims within the second. Strange enough the sound is independent of speed or gear (tiptronic). The sound starts after driving for 5 to 10 minutes.
Another, less disturbing issue is a vibration during stronger braking form the rear brakes.

Our dealer changed the rear brakedisks and mounted a vibration damper for the noise (from S40) on the drive axle just before the rear differential. The damper looks nothing more than a piece of metal wich is bolded and glued to the axle housing. I bought new rear tires. Both didnt help at all, what to do. Is anybody familiar with this problem?

Kind regards,

Gert form the Netherlands

Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: S60 2.5T AWD with pulsating sound from the rear

Did they inspect the rear wheel bearings?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks for your reply. I am not aware that they checked the bearings. Its worth discussing it with the dealer, it might even explain the vibrations under harder braking?

Regards, Gertjan

Old 08-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:00 AM

Hi Tech,

I would like to inform you about the progress we made concerning the sound of my S60 2.5T AWD. See original message at bottom.

Yesterday I had the third appointment with the dealer. Before leaving the car we made a test drive and I spoke to both the mechanic and his chef to make sure we understood each other. Unless all effort my S60 still made the annoying sound and the car vibrated while braking from speed over 60 mph again. To my great supprice the mechanic found the problem in a small thing.

Bolts were replaced on the rear wheel suspension left and right, situated near the point where the rear drive shafts meet the wheel. According to what he said were these bolts not thigthend enough. This seems logical and could be the cause of vibrating under braking as well. Reer brake disks were replaced again.

During the ride of an hour back home I could not produce the sound and vibrating. Great result and thanks for your advice!

Gert from The Netherlands

Normal 0 21 false false false NL X-NONE X-NONE Style Definitions table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:Standaardtabel; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:"; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} My original massage.
We have a 2003 S60 2.5T AWD tiptronic with 60.000 km. Car was bought in July last year. Really a wonderful machine and a very acceptable alternative for the Subaru Impreza Turbo wich my wife really hates for its looks.

Since the purchase there is an annoying and pulsating sound at the rear of the car. The sound starts at 70 km/hr and stops at 100 km/hr. The most noice is made at around 90 km/hr. The puls is approximately 1 second long from start to finish and grows / dims within the second. Strange enough the sound is independent of speed or gear (tiptronic). The sound starts after driving for 5 to 10 minutes.
Another, less disturbing issue is a vibration during stronger braking form the rear brakes.

Our dealer changed the rear brakedisks and mounted a vibration damper for the noise (from S40) on the drive axle just before the rear differential. The damper looks nothing more than a piece of metal wich is bolded and glued to the axle housing. I bought new rear tires. Both didnt help at all, what to do. Is anybody familiar with this problem?