Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 Driver-side Low Beam Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 Driver-side Low Beam Replacement

I am trying to replace the low beam lamp on my wife's 2006 S60 (on the driver's side). I tried doing it per the manual, but the space available behind the headlight housing is too small for my hands. There is a plastic box (which looks similar to an air filter) behind the headlight, but I opened it and it contains what appears to be a computer, or some type of hardware. I didn't want to touch it. Does the headlight housing need to be pulled out in order to gain access? If so, how exactly is this done? I have watched a few videos on how to remove the headlight housing, but it required that the bumper, etc. be removed. I'm hoping I don't need to take the bumper off just to replace a bulb. Any responses would be much appreciated!

Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm. I have an '07 S60 2.5T, and I found that removing the air filter box is needed to get at the light bulbs on the drivers' side.
I'm not sure what box you are referring to with hardware inside it though. It is likely that there are differences with the layout under the hood between the '06 and '07 models. On my '07, there is a plastic box on the passenger side, behind the headlights and near the coolant reservoir which holds 2 computer modules. But only the airbox is behind the headlights on the drivers' side on my car.

This is the procedure I used:
Tools needed: 1 flathead screwdriver, 1 long socket extension and a 10mm socket.
1. Loosen the ring clamp which connects the MAF meter (at top, engine-side of the airbox) to the air intake tube. Disconnect the electrical connection from the MAF meter.
2. Unclip the 3 clips at the front of the airbox, lift it off the airbox and gently pull the airbox lid along with the MAF meter so the MAF seperates from the air intake tube.
3. Remove the air filter from the air box.
4. There are some hoses and electrical connectors which clamp onto the outside of the airbox, in front and on the left (engine side). Lift/push those from their clamps.
5. Use the screw driver to gently loosen the air intake tube (square, coming from the grill) from the lower left of the airbox.
6. There are 3 places where the bottom (outside) of the airbox is anchored to clips. These have 4 tips which squeeze together. Use the long socket extension with the 10mm socket. Center the 10mm socket onto those clamps and press down to push the tips together, gently lifting on the airbox at the same time.
7. Once the box is popped off of those three clamps, it should lift up and move enough out of the way to get to the bulbs. The MAF electrical connection mount might prevent the box from being completely removed from the engine bay.

Installation is just the reverse procedure. Once you have done it one time, it is quite easy.