Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 R... To buy, or not to buy?

Old 02-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 R... To buy, or not to buy?

Hello, everyone!

I recently was involved in an accident in which my little S70, while she might have won the fight, did not make it out without being deemed "totaled." The worst part is, the accident wasn't even my fault. How rude of the other driver.

Anyways, I should be getting back a little $$$ from my Volvo, and am going to be putting lots and lots more money aside from my job to save up for a hefty down payment on a used vehicle. While searching for some more Volvos (because, lets be honest, once you taste Swede speed, you never want to go back) and found a 2004 Volvo S60 R with 170,000 on the odometer. The price matches up nicely with the KBB value, but my real concern is this: if I were to buy this car, would it be reliable? Would it even be worth buying at this point? The owner seems to have kept really great documentation of services done, although I don't know exactly what services were performed. What should I look for?

The car itself seems to be in really nice shape. I would love to get myself behind the wheel of a beautiful gem such as the S60 R, but want to feel confident that it's going to last me a good while.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2016, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by zdean
Hello, everyone!

I recently was involved in an accident in which my little S70, while she might have won the fight, did not make it out without being deemed "totaled." The worst part is, the accident wasn't even my fault. How rude of the other driver.

Anyways, I should be getting back a little $$$ from my Volvo, and am going to be putting lots and lots more money aside from my job to save up for a hefty down payment on a used vehicle. While searching for some more Volvos (because, lets be honest, once you taste Swede speed, you never want to go back) and found a 2004 Volvo S60 R with 170,000 on the odometer. The price matches up nicely with the KBB value, but my real concern is this: if I were to buy this car, would it be reliable? Would it even be worth buying at this point? The owner seems to have kept really great documentation of services done, although I don't know exactly what services were performed. What should I look for?

The car itself seems to be in really nice shape. I would love to get myself behind the wheel of a beautiful gem such as the S60 R, but want to feel confident that it's going to last me a good while.

Thanks in advance!
So about a year ago today I bought a used 06 S60 2.5t"60,000miles" from a good dealer(family owned my bro bought a used Lexus from him months before and still to this day is In perfect condition)"honest bizznizz" It was in mint condition white exterior and black leather. He got the car thru a credit union that the previous owner traded in due to a bad tranny. He fixed the known issue of bad valve body."ended up being more extensive than that also I was ripping her fast when the tranny blew." I bought it and with an extended warranty that covered tranny engine and much more. Wasn't gunna do the extended warranty for $2500 because it's a volvo and they are "reliable ""but I like to drive fast" 😉. Well when buying a used car a pretty one at that u gotta think.. Why would someone get rid of it? Prolly because something is failing and gunna cost heavfty amount of $$. Thank god for the warranty they paid out $6000 already. It wasn't easy I had to fight them on the first big $3200 tranny repair but after they paid no questions asked. Also I've put another $3000 in timing belts an pcv system and OEM axles that weren't fully covered.(Also got the polestar upgrade which is amazing) Bottom line is when buying a "used car" u need a warranty and even better a mechanical record. I admit I ****ed up but fell in love with how the rest of the car looked not how it was maintained. 😔 Good luck to you.! Volvo for life.!!! *il pay to play *

Last edited by Koondaddy; 02-25-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The "R" model, while a fun ride, is much more likely to have been driven hard and need frequent and expensive repair on the upgraded components like the high pressure turbo and active suspension, but as long as you understand what you are buying and prepared you should be fine assuming you get a pre-buy inspection by a qualified mechanic or are talented enough to do it yourself.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by zdean
a 2004 Volvo S60 R with 170,000 on the odometer.

No. Call a mechanic and ask how much to change all 4 strut and you'll see why. That will probably be more than the payout of your S70. Newer Volvo is very expensive to maintain.