Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

S60 slams in gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S60 slams in gear

As the title says My 2002 S60 135,000 miles slams into gear the first time in the morning. after that initial slam it doesn't do it until the next morning. I have been told by my Volvo mechanic to just drive it as is but I don't like the slam. I have not changed the trans fluid . Again I was told not to change it. Should I change the fluid or not?? Will that stop the slamming into gear? Thanks Mud

Old 01-09-2022, 05:41 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenmudshark
2002 S60 135,000 miles slams into gear
Told by my Volvo mechanic to just drive it as
I have not changed the trans fluid .
Should I change the fluid or not??
Will that stop the slamming into gear?
You might have a common solenoid/valve body problem. Replacing the valve body or solenoids MIGHT fix it. Google volvo slam shifts.

Changing the fluid COULD make things worse - hence the advice to not. (but I would still recommend changing the fluid on a regular basis). Easiest is several drain and fills using ONLY the correct fluid. Toyota type t-IV fluid is an economical choice compared to what Volvo charges. (and is the correct stuff. ) Some DIYers buy it by the case, for it can take flushing with up to 12 quarts for the fluid to run clean. Google "Gibbons trans flush" for ideas.

Changing the fluid will probably not stop the slamming in gear.

Your transmission is used in many different brands of cars and they all have the same problems. Slam shifts, slipping/flares when shifting, 2-3 is usually the worst. Poor downshifts, slamming into forward or reverse are all common complaints. There's someone on one of of these boards that figured out how to put a GM valve body in (from the same kind of transmission) to save a few hundred $$!

I suspect your mechanic does not want to touch a transmission repair job like yours - the success rate is certainly not 100% and he can be sure the 100% of the customers whose transmissions are not fixed perfectly will complain and write a bad review.

The success rate however is 100% when you install a remanufactured transmission from Volvo and perform an adaptation on it. Comes with a warranty too!