Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60R Oil Leak Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60R Oil Leak Help

hey guys im new to the forums, seems like everyone here really adds a lot of support to the volvo community so i figured ide ask for help here.

i drive a volvo s60r (2005) and i recently was changing my spark plugs and i broke one off in the head so i had to remove the valve cover, intake box, turbo tube, and fuel rail. it was a pretty in depth and time consuming project. well i put everything back together and sealed my valve cover with permatex, gasket maker. well i took the car for a test drive when i was all done and everything seemed fine but i parked the car and it was leaking oil like crazy around my oil filter. I know the oil could be dripping from somewhere higher but ive looked all around the seal and i dont see any oil leaking out of the upper head(valve cover/cam cover).

Also the oil change before me had synthetic oil in there and i hate synthetic oil so i went back to the recomended premium oil(castrol 10w30/according to the owners manuel).

any ideas on where the oil leak is coming from guys? i know its hard to tell without seeing the car and being here but any ideas would help. ive been doing some internet research on things that could be causing the problem and apparently synthetic oil makes your seals swell(expand) and when you go back to regular it makes your seals return back to normal size, so im hoping i didnt damage anything.

any ideas or help would be greatful. Thanks agian!

Old 05-29-2011, 08:16 PM

my car just hit 70k miles. never leaked a drop of oil before i had to mess with the cam cover/valve cover and things...

EDIT: also what is that rubber tube that comes out of the top of your valve cover and runs down through the fuel rail, intake manifold and into a little box? that broke during this process and now im operating my car without that hose reaching the little box under my intake manifold.

Last edited by iGrunt; 05-29-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you made sure the seal you made when you reinstalled the valve cover is not leaking? That would be my first guess since that's the only thing you messed with.
Also I've been told explicitly not to go back to Dino oil after running synthetic.

The tube that broke is PCV breather hose, and the box that it connects to is the oil separator.

I had the same broken hose problem about a year ago.
Swedespeed Forums - Possible Flame trap/PCV. Need a little help.

Order the hose here...
PCV Breather Hose

Old 05-30-2011, 07:50 AM

The broken hose is probably sparying oil under your intake manifold and dripping off of the oil filter housing. Repair or replace the hose and your leak should be fixed.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:31 PM

thanks for the help, but you really think that is what is causing the oil leak?( the broken hose)? ive looked all around my valve cover and i see no oil coming out around the edge.

is it possible something else went wrong since i went back to regular oil? like something MAJOR..

also thanks for the link to ordering that new hose..

Old 05-30-2011, 07:13 PM

u check your oil hose coming from your turbo?? just a random thought, i know you didnt take it apart but maybe its just decided to start leaking for watever reason. It would drip down to your oil pan area making it appear as an engine leak.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:27 AM

no i didnt, thats a good idea, thanks for all the help guys. really is a good community here!

i turned over the car to a guy i know that has a shop because the car has been running kind of odd lately so its out of my hands now. Now im just hoping it doesnt cost to much to fix..