Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Sensus upgrade from 3g to 4g?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 10:00 PM
rss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sensus upgrade from 3g to 4g?

Does anyone know anything about upgrading the internal 3g modem that serves the Sensus Connect system on older models (such as my 2015.5 V60) and that will become obsolete in early 2022?

Thank you, and happy New Year.

Old 02-10-2022, 05:44 PM

Volvo has the upgrade available now. I just upgraded my 2016 XC60 from the 3g to 4g Modem. It cost 650.00 and that includes two years subscription to the VOC app. I was the first one that the dealer installed, so they ran into some confusion on how to get the app extended, but after a week of calling Volvo customer service, they finally figured it out.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:50 PM

I got the upgrade installed today but the app is no longer connecting to the car. Did you have to delete the car from the app and add it back to get it to recognize the new modem?

Old 02-11-2022, 05:56 PM

Just talked to Volvo USA support and they said there are currently some issues with connectivity with the new 4G service and the app correctly showing the two year extension. Mine shows just one year right now.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by davehale
I got the upgrade installed today but the app is no longer connecting to the car. Did you have to delete the car from the app and add it back to get it to recognize the new modem?
Actually, I had the exact same problem. Yes, I deleted the app from my phone and then reinstalled it. Then I went through the set up and synching it to the car again. Once I did that, it all connected and started working. So far, it has been almost a week and it is working great. The last was sitting in the car with the ignition on and letting it sync. I had to do that a few times before it finally synced and then started working. The first 2 tries, it errored out with an "unable to sync" message. But on my third try, it worked.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:03 PM

Once I reinstalled the app and got it connected, I saw that the dealer only extended it for one year on mine as well. I emailed Volvo and received a reply today that said they got ahold of the dealer and that they would be adding the 2nd year to my account. From what they told me, the dealer is the one that has to put the extension in and for some reason they only did it for one year initially.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:12 PM

I deleted the app and reinstalled but no difference. Deleted the car from the app to add it back but now it wants a 4 digit pin to activate the service. Emailed my dealer.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:22 PM

I did get a 4 digit PIN when I originally set up my on call subscription. I recall having it listed my app where I keep PW info. But, when I reinstalled the OnCall app, it didn't ask for the PIN. I just had to enter my vehicle VIN and then log in with my login and PW. Sorry that you are having such crazy issues! I was getting a little frustrated as well, and I guess I got lucky that it finally connected.

Old 02-12-2022, 06:58 AM

Contacted Volvo support https://www.volvocars.com/intl/v/legal/contact-us and was able to get a new PIN. The PIN worked but still can't complete the registration of the car. Six attempts to connect and all time out. Assuming Volvo is still having issues on the backend with the registration system.

Old 02-12-2022, 07:07 AM

BTW, cost for the upgrade was $719 in the Northern Virginia area (Don Beyer Volvo of Falls Church). They also ran into issues and had to keep the car overnight to complete the work.

Old 02-12-2022, 10:17 AM

Contacted Volvo support https://www.volvocars.com/intl/v/legal/contact-us and was able to get a new PIN. The PIN worked but still can't complete the registration of the car. Six attempts to connect and all time out. Assuming Volvo is still having issues on the backend all with the registration system.
Have you looked at your WIFI signal strength showing on the screen in our Volvo when connecting the app to the car? Mine was only 1 to 2 bars when it timed out the first to times. So, I drove the car down the road and got a full signal and then that 3rd time it connected and finished. Like I said, now it works like it should. I think that whichever carrier they are using does not have a strong single at my house. But once I got it connected, even with just 1 bar now, it still unlocks, starts the car and downloads directions from the app perfectly. For some reason it needed a full signal to finish the process.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:15 PM

Good idea and did that this morning and tried 6 six times before I gave up.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:13 PM

Anyone know location of this Modem module for 2017 s60? why it takes them 1 hour to get to it? Plus i was at the dealer today and they refuse the upgrade because volvo has issue with software and they even refuse to try it.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pauls90
Anyone know location of this Modem module for 2017 s60? why it takes them 1 hour to get to it? Plus i was at the dealer today and they refuse the upgrade because volvo has issue with software and they even refuse to try it.
I don’t know the location but can confirm that new installations are on hold until they figure out the problem. Mine is still not working. Seems to be stuck at partial registration but can’t start over.

Old 03-03-2022, 06:21 PM

Success! Volvo told my dealer to install the previous software on the new modem. I was able to activate the service on the car. I asked the dealer to reset my info online but I still had to make a new login account for the Volvo app and enter in a new PIN with the VIN but it worked.

Old 03-03-2022, 06:54 PM

Success! Volvo told my dealer to install the previous software on the new modem. I was able to activate the service on the car. I asked the dealer to reset my info online but I still had to make a new login account for the Volvo app and enter in a new PIN with the VIN but it worked.
Hello can you please post your invoice with the part numbers they used for software.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:44 AM

Installed 31288000-8 :TEM VOC RELOAD

Old 03-04-2022, 07:32 AM

Installed 31288000-8 :TEM VOC RELOAD
Thank you!

Old 05-23-2022, 03:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry 4G Upgrade still not working

Originally Posted by VolvoXC60AZ
Volvo has the upgrade available now. I just upgraded my 2016 XC60 from the 3g to 4g Modem. It cost 650.00 and that includes two years subscription to the VOC app. I was the first one that the dealer installed, so they ran into some confusion on how to get the app extended, but after a week of calling Volvo customer service, they finally figured it out.
As you indicated I was the first one that my dealer upgraded. There was an initial delay because of a software issue, so they chose not to install the hardware. Two weeks ago they called me in for the install. 750.00 later and its not working. I called the dealer, they never tested it or noticed the display says 3G and not 4G, and the internet section shows it trying to connect, so that was a failure on their part. So I have the two year Volvo On Call service enabled but I cannot use it. I called Volvo North America, and they told me there was still a firmware issue, the dealer did no know this, had to tell them. Why is the communications so bad between Volvo and the dealerships?, and did they even test this on cars or some type of actual care computers systems or was it just tested on a virtual computer system.
So I did not go to today's appointment since I never receive any information from the dealer that the issue was fixed, (after calling them twice when they opened). Called Volvo again, ya its still broken. So I supposed they will figure it out sometime this year, and I will have to call to get them to extend my free 2 year service, that should be a fun conversation. I'm glad they figured it out for you car. I have a 2016 XC70.
I'm still trying to figure out why it took them a year to update the Volvo webpage that said they would have news on this in Q1 2021, and we did not hear anything until this year.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:35 PM
Default Still software not working

My s60 modem was upgraded but my dealer said the software didn’t work, and they would call me when ready. That was AGES ago.

Quick Reply: Sensus upgrade from 3g to 4g?