Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Snabb turbo air intake

Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snabb turbo air intake

Hey, just received my snabb air intake. This has got to be one of the most difficult installation ever (has not been installed). I had to post pone the installation, because I had a hard time disconnecting the electrical PTC from the grommet. I've managed to disconnect 3 air tubings, but the rest was unsuccessful (this is nothing like installing a cool/air intake on a honda). I've managed to wipe all the lubricant with my hands from the PTC & grommet, and still finding the silver triangular pin to release the electrical PTC (no success). So, I've taken apart the air filter box along with the air tubings, and unsuccessful with the PTC, ahhhhhhh.. does anyone know an easier way to get this out? I really want to avoid the mechanic shop. Don't know how much installation will cost me. Just blew about $215 on the breather itself.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some install review and some advice in this thread...
Swedespeed Forums - Snabb Intake Installation

Old 03-09-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Matt
Here's some install review and some advice in this thread...
Swedespeed Forums - Snabb Intake Installation
S60R is different from the S60. The air intake that connects to the engine is like buried far below on the side where I can't even reach the coupler clamps. And, it's mainly the PTC electrical wiring that's bugging me.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 PM

It's slightly different but the turbo is in the same place on all the S60's so once the airbox is off and out of the way it's more or less the same.

What is it about the PTC element that you're having problems with?
Reading your first post, it sounds like the plastic pipe is still connected to the turbo. and you can't remove the wires connected to the PTC. Is that correct?
If so, You should be able to just depress the metal wire that is used for the clip on the PTC and it should come off.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by S60Grunk
S60R is different from the S60. The air intake that connects to the engine is like buried far below on the side where I can't even reach the coupler clamps. And, it's mainly the PTC electrical wiring that's bugging me.
Did you already remove the engine stabilizer bar that runs across the engine bay and the charge air pipe from the top of the engine? I had to remove both mine to get access to the clamp that held on the coupler to the turbo. I also needed a set of swivel joint sockets to get the right angle on the bolt head of the clamp.

If you can take a pic and post it of where your at. It might make things easier if we had a visual to work from.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:21 PM

It's slightly different but the turbo is in the same place on all the S60's so once the airbox is off and out of the way it's more or less the same.

What is it about the PTC element that you're having problems with?
Reading your first post, it sounds like the plastic pipe is still connected to the turbo. and you can't remove the wires connected to the PTC. Is that correct?
If so, You should be able to just depress the metal wire that is used for the clip on the PTC and it should come off.
Yes, it is mainly the wiring PTC & grommet that I'm having problems with, and I've taken the air filter box, but the air filter tube that is connected to the lid does not want to separate what so ever (I have literally twisted yanked and bent that lid in so many directions that I didn't have one single snap to indicate that it's loose or not) from the damn air intake. Honestly, I haven't even located where my turbo is at, lol... considering it's just a low pressure turbo, but I would love to find it. And, I am aware that it's buried beneath the engine?

Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 PM

Did you already remove the engine stabilizer bar that runs across the engine bay and the charge air pipe from the top of the engine? I had to remove both mine to get access to the clamp that held on the coupler to the turbo. I also needed a set of swivel joint sockets to get the right angle on the bolt head of the clamp.

If you can take a pic and post it of where your at. It might make things easier if we had a visual to work from.
When I received my snabb air intake, I wasn't instructed to remove sway rod or engine stabilizer bar. I also went to watch the installation on youtube, which was not really helpful, but some what. Because it's really hard to operate on a engine while focusing your camera in a tight corner where you don't have visibility yourself while installing it. So, I will take crisp clear pictures some time tomorrow. Hopefully that will show the little problem that I am having with.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:37 PM

The turbos is on the back side of the engine next to the fire wall. The pipe that goes across the top of the engine connects to the turbo. Once you remove the engine stabilizer bar and the pipe, you'll have much better access to the clamps that hold on the intake pipe.

I'll keep checking back for your picture and see about getting the install finished up.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 PM

The turbos is on the back side of the engine next to the fire wall. The pipe that goes across the top of the engine connects to the turbo. Once you remove the engine stabilizer bar and the pipe, you'll have much better access to the clamps that hold on the intake pipe.

I'll keep checking back for your picture and see about getting the install finished up.
Do you know where I can get a customized turbo piping for the one that goes across the engine? I've noticed only S60R's got them, but no S60 just itself. I hear it runs a lot better and more responsive as well. Plus, if I ever wanted to place a BOV on it, then I'm sure it would have to be customized. Wouldn't look right with a plastic piece and a metallic BOV sticking out, lol.. still working on those pictures. Weather is crucial today and tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:46 AM

Some of the R guys have actually gone to a tuning shop and have custom pipes made up. I don't know it there's any gains as the '04 and '05 R's have a metal pipe and the '06 and '07 R's have a plastic pipe.
You may be able to modify a metal R pipe for your car but I don't know how hard it would really be since the metal pipes use a V-Band clamp to attach to the turbo. IIRC all the plastic pipes use a coupler to attach the pipe to the turbo.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if your still working on the electrical connector on the PTC (unlikely, but others may want to know) it is the same connector that's on your fog lights if applicable. since they are easy to get to, you could see exactly how the clips work, im quite fond of them actually.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 PM

I got to the clamp on the turbo coupler on my car by getting to it from underneath. I raised the car on ramps, took off the splash panel and used a couple of extensions and a universal socket. It depends on the orientation of the clamp though.
As for the PTC, Snabb offers a new PTC pre-installed with their intake pipe, as an option. I opted for that since there may be a time when I need/choose to put the stock intake back on the car... the original PTC is still installed in the original pipe.
I know that doesn't help with your current PTC situation, but others who are considering ordering the Snabb intake are well advised to get it with the PTC pre-installed. As far as I know, only ordering directly from Snabb allows the option of the pre-installed PTC.

Last edited by PranQster; 06-11-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:40 PM

new member here, so today at work while on lunch my 04 S60 decided to catch fire, Long story short , had to have the car towed to the house and take it apart where the fire was,, Turns out it was off of the charge pipe leading into the turbo. i think the 2 wires that come off the ptc hookup were somehow rubbed raw and managed to melt the harness, pipe, and pretty much anything that was connected to it. ANY advice on where to get replacement parts for pretty much the whole pipe, and breather tubes that hook up to it would be fantastic, also going to need part of the harness that hooks up underneath the charge pipe too. Thanks in advance .