Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

spongy brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spongy brakes

I have an 01 S60. Had the front pads and rotors changed a couple of months ago. As of last week the brake pedal has become real spongy/soft. The brakes still work fine but there seems to be less of a range, i.e., further pedal travel to start braking and not much of a range between slow braking and locking them up.

Pumping the pedal doesnt do anything, so Im guessing its not a fluid/air problem.

Any thoughts....could it be that the rear pads are causing this (they could do with a replacement) but Im concerned since this problem just started overnight and is now persistent.

Is there a hose I should be checking?

Cheers

Old 02-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: spongy brakes

Try taking it in a secluded road and activate the ABS and see if it gets better.
There might be air in the system.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:38 PM

Ive tried...my drive to work is all secluded road. I can get the ABS to activate on snowy or icy surfaces but on dry roads the wheels lock right up with a slight skid just before stopping.

How could i have introduced air into the system? The brakes worked fine for a good three months after replacement.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

I know the system loves to hide air!!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:48 PM

You could have a slooow leak or something. I had the same thing in my old car, all the sudden the brakes almost go out. Got home and the brake reservoir is way down. Air got in the lines. A quick brake bleed and the brakes work better than ever! Checked the reservoir the next few weeks and the level held steady. Probably a slow leak somewhere, but I sold the car soon after!

Old 02-11-2007, 01:28 PM

Tried activating the abs for a few short bursts but it hasn't helped the brakes.

the reservoir is full...almost seems too full.

I know what u mean about selling the car, I used to have a benz that lost brakes at random, turned out to be faulty rear calipers. I had it fixed and sold it right after - nothing makes u lose confidence in a car than barreling down a highway and realizing u have no brakes!!

hope its not the case here....any help is much appreciated.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Try bleeding them.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Had the brake fluid flush done at the dealership yesterday and the brakes feel much better know.

Im not sure if it was the actual fluid (it was a bit dark before the flush) or air in the system that caused them to go soft. But, I am still a bit concerned by having this problem in the first place and would like to solve the root of the problem....

If it was the dirty fluid, then great, the problem is solved.

If it was air in the system, it should also be solved but I would like to find out how the air got into the system....the brakes just went flat one morning and stayed that way all week until the flush....any thoughts on how the air got trapped in the system? Or could it have been something else.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:19 PM

you need to find out if they found air in the system. When the master cylinders in those cars go bad they don't leak fluid, they allow air into the system. Usually you find air in the right rear caliper.
Question. If you sit at a light with your foot steady on the brake will the pedal ever so slowly drop?

Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 PM

I have noticed the pedal go down while at a complete stop. it has only happened a few times and I figured it was the old fluid that was causing it.

the dealership wasn't forth coming with any info on what they did or didn't find even though I asked them to try and notice anything that might be at fault.

the brakes were so spongy before the flush that they would definitely have found air at the furthest caliper from the mc.

can the master cylinder be tested or do I wait to see if air creeps back into the system.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:14 AM

If the symptoms start to return I would replace the master cylinder. I had one customer whos car crept forward at a light into the car in front of him while he was holding the brake down.