Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Steering angle sensor bad after another repair?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Steering angle sensor bad after another repair?

I've been having a problem with my 2008 S60 where it doesn't start easily or at all when the weather gets into the teens or lower. After almost a month of playing around with it Volvo engineering figured out the problem was corrosion on the flywheel. $1800 and also a new starter they say went bad.

OK, if it works I'll deal, however there is a warning message "anti-skid system needs maintenence" or something to that effect, then another about the traction system being turned off.

Here's the thing. I've never even heard of this before until I got it back, much less gotten a message. The service invoice says that the warning was there before they started working on it and that it needs a steering angle sensor.

Needless to say I'm a bit miffed about that since that is untrue. My understanding is that the transmission was removed to do the corrosion repair/flywheel replacement and I'm thinking they broke something in the process and are being less than honest to put it mildly.

What are your opinions on this? I haven't talked to the dealer yet, but I'm highly suspicious and if I get a load of bull, what is my recourse through Volvo corporate if I'm told I'm out of luck?

If I ignore the message what does that mean? They took what money I had for repairs already. $522 would be the replacement cost.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

The sensor is built into the clockspring. Depending on how the transmission was removed, they could have damaged it. If they disconnected the steering gear from the steering column and the column turned enough to break the clockspring, then thats the cause. Personally, I leave the steering gear connected when pulling the trans. Also, if the contact ribbon in the clockspring was totally broken, you would have an SRS warning as well. So I honestly don't think they damaged it.

Some codes record the mileage they were stored at. So if the codes being set have the mileage stored, it could show they were stored prior to the work. The steering angle sensor is a pretty common failure, so even if it was stored after the repair, that doesn't prove they damaged it.