Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Angle Sensor XC90 and wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 03:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Angle Sensor XC90 and wheel alignment

Hi all,

- Sorry just posted this New Member area. Still getting used to this but should have posted here -

I did search and check the posts there are on this but nothing answered the question quite. So I am going to ask. Hope thats ok.

Volvo XC90 Diesel 2010 RHD. Had this for about 3 years and been driving with the Anti-Skid warning for a year and finally had it checked out. MOT is due and so need light out to get MOT although it seems to drive fine.

Assessment came back as Steering Angle Sensor. Which isn't unusual but is expensive.

My question is whether there could be a real cause for this and actually the sensor is erroring correctly? The tyre wear pattern shows that the nearside curb edge of the tyre is excessively worn, and the same on for offside. So when you are sitting in the car, the lefthand edge of each front tyre is significantly worn compared to the centre of the tyre or the right hand side.

Could this cause the SAS to error? Or is a SAS warning always mean that it is the sensor itself that's wrong? If I get alignment fixed and the code reset may the light stay off?

I know from reading everything that everyone says that the sensor itself is whats wrong but I can't help but think it may be related.

Help please! Can't get an MOT without it

Also does anyone know if there is a cheap code reader that will reset codes and will work with XC90 2010?

Thanks

James

Old 11-03-2014, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Depends on the codes. An incorrect alignment can set the anti skid warning light. But the SAS is way more common.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by jamesjc
Hi all,

- Sorry just posted this New Member area. Still getting used to this but should have posted here -

I did search and check the posts there are on this but nothing answered the question quite. So I am going to ask. Hope thats ok.

Volvo XC90 Diesel 2010 RHD. Had this for about 3 years and been driving with the Anti-Skid warning for a year and finally had it checked out. MOT is due and so need light out to get MOT although it seems to drive fine.

Assessment came back as Steering Angle Sensor. Which isn't unusual but is expensive.

My question is whether there could be a real cause for this and actually the sensor is erroring correctly? The tyre wear pattern shows that the nearside curb edge of the tyre is excessively worn, and the same on for offside. So when you are sitting in the car, the lefthand edge of each front tyre is significantly worn compared to the centre of the tyre or the right hand side.

Could this cause the SAS to error? Or is a SAS warning always mean that it is the sensor itself that's wrong? If I get alignment fixed and the code reset may the light stay off?

I know from reading everything that everyone says that the sensor itself is whats wrong but I can't help but think it may be related.

Help please! Can't get an MOT without it

Also does anyone know if there is a cheap code reader that will reset codes and will work with XC90 2010?

Thanks

James
Hi James,

We have a few things in common. I had the "Anti-Skid Service Required" for some time now. My front tires are wearing out normally according to the Volvo Tech after my alignment. The message never went away thereafter. The dealer wanted $99 just to hook up there diagnostic tool to find out. Lol

I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 AWD, 3.2, 6 Cyl. In fact I bought the car in Suffolk when I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath. I waited 2 months so they can make the car in Sweden I never had issues after driving 80K miles...Now that all warranties expired, things are starting to break down. Typical

I purchased a VIDA DICE 2014A. This diagnostic tool is a must have, it can diagnose all Volvo vehicles from 1999 to 2014. Aside from its diagnostic capabilities, it includes parts catalog with part numbers and an exploded view of parts, Removal, Replacement and Installation etc, etc.

Please be aware...erasing fault codes without fixing the problem will come back afterwards. There are some codes that may not surface again but this is a critical part of the DSTC system, it will show up again when you re start or drive the car after a few yards. BTW, there are 26 Trouble codes about Steering Angle Sensor (SAS). each one has different meaning and your problem could be the module itself or the sensor. Should you decide to do a DIY to replace the SAS and or Steering Wheel Module (SWM), a software reload must be performed, otherwise these new parts will not function. That is a dealer performed job unless you have a legit Vida system and a Volvo subscription to download the software. Either way, you will spend some money to fix or have it fix. Good luck to that MOT.

When you have an "Anti Skid Service Required" message, and if the fault code is related to the SAS or SWM, the Steering Wheel Module will not communicate or send false signal(s) to the Brake Control Module. In turn, the Brake Control Control Module wouldnt know how much torque it would ask from the Transmission Control Module. Yes, your SUV is almost a "fly-by-wire system". As a result of this internal fault, your traction control, stability control, AWD traction control and Active Yaw control are all disabled. Not too sure about ABS, but my case is disabled.

Lucky for me, Im back in the US now (southern Cali). I dont have to worry about traction or stability control unless I drive like a maniac out in the rain

You may acquire the VIDA DICE 2014A in the UK if you wish. I bought mine from Autunumen. It was delivered in 5 days.

US$105.00 - Hot Sale VOLVO VIDA DICE Diagnostic Tool V2014A - Autonumen.com

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.MCCl5DEX5GU

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh...riveLine=11321

Last edited by xc90skip; 12-02-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

There is no software reload required with replacement of the SAS, but the DSTC needs to be calibrated. Even a knockoff VIDA and DiCE should be able to perform that.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
There is no software reload required with replacement of the SAS, but the DSTC needs to be calibrated. Even a knockoff VIDA and DiCE should be able to perform that.
Yup, it failed to calibrate the SAS.

Attached Thumbnails Steering Angle Sensor XC90 and wheel alignment-picture00003.jpg  
Old 12-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Did you try it a second time? Sometimes I have to try it twice, even with an official version of VIDA

Old 12-03-2014, 02:49 AM
Default Steering Angle Sensor

For the past two weeks since I got my VIDA DICE 2014A I have been erasing codes and re calibratibg the DSTC. No luck on tbe SAS. In fact I cant even commuicate with the SWM. I can look at the parameters but the other fuctions are greyed out. It means its dead. I concluded that the SWM and or sensor are bad. I can access any of the other modules but not the SWM.

Attached Thumbnails Steering Angle Sensor XC90 and wheel alignment-picture00004.jpg  

Last edited by xc90skip; 12-03-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:46 AM

SAS reset is under brake control module in vida GO to Diagnostic tab then vehicle communication click BCM then advanced tab SAS reset is in there. If it not working, the problem may lie on VIDA or vehicle (model or year)

Old 11-29-2019, 06:09 AM
Default Have ABS with Anti-skid Service Required Msg on

I know this thread is several years old but I want to add my experience to the collective.

I have an "Anti Skid Service Required" message On my 2007 Volvo S60 2.5 T. We just received 20 in. Of snow a few days ago and I can confirm that the ABS brakes do indeed work even with the message. I had the pulsing brakes and the wheels did not lock up when braking harder on icy roads.

With a VIDA DICE from a friend, I will first read the exact code and re-calibrate the SAS. If indicated, I plan to replace the SAS next and recalibrate again.

More postings to follow.