Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body

My car had its TB replaced at 70k, do I need to do anything to it now? I just bought the car, but I know it was replaced at the volvo dealer. What are the differences between the original and the one they replace it with? Do I need to clean it? Car idles fine.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Throttle Body

Do not touch it, its under warrenty for 10yrs 200k dont touch it leave it alone..

Old 06-19-2007, 10:12 PM

Best thing you could of told me.
Thanks.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: piercebrew

Best thing you could of told me.
Thanks.
Clean it if it starts getting sticky and idle fluctuations persist.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 PM

The idle fluctuations may not be the TB. But then again i guess you already know this huh FredMC? Alot of MAF sensors go bad. you'll need to monitor the kg per hour flow of the MAF to see if its out of range.. I would not touch the ETM

Old 06-21-2007, 10:35 AM

Should you clean MAF sensor along with TB?

Very strange for 5 years Volvo was cleaning TBs and now they don’t.
Volvo fluid was synthetic and it is not now. (top secret fluid with tag price $30 per quart… nobody from Volvo reps could give an evidence that it is “syntheticâ€)
Just thought… Why volvo is not saying that it is 100% synthetic? Because if it is not volvo will be liable for fraud.

Why Volvo would advertise dirty TB?

Synthetic Bled is synthetic too if we will ignore Blend part.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:15 PM

Well tech, You seem to not have a lot of your advice accepted lately by others not just me. (re the aircondition thread).

Idle fluctuations are usually the TB.It won'tthrow a code. The MAF will usually throw a code if it's bad. It's set up for that. I know the engineering of the TB and MAF's fairly well. And IAC's. And Red... if you clean the MAF be very very careful. Go to the Ford Escape forum www. escape-central.com. They had a lot of discussion on how to clean the wires. And what solvent to use. Very carefully.

TB's should be cleaned every other year or so to keep the idle smooth. Trans fluids drain and fills should be done after 60K. That fluid gets oxidized and sheared and needs to be replaced in AW transmissions with Mobil 3309 fluid.(easily available)

Old 06-21-2007, 04:26 PM

ok, first, on the A/C thread i was also stating another possiable prob, it didnt say it wouldnt be the sensor. alot of probs are based on consumers not knowin how the car works, 2nd, why in the hell would you bother to clean somthing on your car that is coverd under warrenty, weather it be good or bad? its under warrenty, leave it alone. if you want it cleaned take it to the dealer, tell em the throttle feels sticky, if they decide to clean it, which again is against volvo proceedures, then let them.

Now, on to the Fluid, i cleared this up today with some ppl from Volvo, the fluid was fully synthetic for the SN vehicles when the software became available to remove SN and the cars came from the factory without SN, the synthetic blend will be able to be USED without further problems..

Also. i've worked on Volvo for a long time, i work with a 6time vista winner, and i myself have competed in vista and done very well, The MAF sensor will cause idle surging and not throw a code, i see it alot, according to the engineers, when the 155 download is done for the TB, it is suppose to compensate for a dirty TB, therefore not needing cleaning, as why the cleaning proceedure has been removed and no longer a process for ETM maintance and fault tracing. Alot of the MAF problems seem to show up worse with the A/C on and it not compensating for the load when the compressor kicks back on. there is Also a s/w download but does not cure it in all cases. causing the MAF to need to be replaced..

Old 06-21-2007, 05:52 PM

Volvotechy, I know you don't make stuff up...

but Volvo has NEVER used a synthetic trans fluid except for manual transmissions. The JWS 3309 fluid is and always has been Mobil 3309. The current Volvo fluid is Mobil 3309. Volvo doesn't make fluids, they buy them. NO manufacturer makes a synthetic JWS 3309 fluid. You will be the first person to prove that if you can. "talking" with Volvo means nothing. I don't think you talked to engineering ...

The "current" JWS fluid is not semi synthetic, Volvo says the base oil is "mineral base oil". Check out the Volvo chemical parts catalog and see what Volvo calls it's oils. No one has any proof to the contrary.
Remember Volvo doesn't make transmissions, they get them from Aisin Warner. And all transmissions made by that company use JWS 3309 for 5 speed automatics. And the only manufacturer of that fluid is Mobil 3309.
Also you better check with your service writer about what the procedure actually is on a replacement with a new ETM. Unless there is basically an actual failure or a repeatable throttle surge, then volvo is under no obligation to replace the unit. Go to two other forums and write what you wrote

1) about synthetic trans fluids
2) about ETM recalls
3)about cleaning throttle bodies

This forum is very small compared to www.volvospeed.com and www.swedespeed.com They have real life experiences with these situations. Also try posting your trans oil comments in www.bobistheoilguy.com where this Mobil 3309 discussion was settled once and for all. I can tell you that you are in the vast minority to put it mildly.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:04 PM

Well, first off, we, volvo techs Call it synthetic, because it is not regular ATF. in the owners manual it calls it synthetic, so that is our refrence, to the expensive flush's, As for the the ETMS, there is not one thing a service writer can tell me about that, i Am a tech , i see the TNNS and bullitens everyday, i have to follow procedures, therefore me knowing that the cleaning was taken out. there is also a test that a ETM HAS to fail in Vida before volvo will pay for it. but if you complain enough times, like some customers do. the dealer will replace the unit per volvo FTS.

And as for the engineers, i talked to my FTS who told me about this, and he gets it directly from sweden. not saying it wasnt misinterpreted.. i dont care who makes it, I also know that volvo doesnt make their own Trans's, i know alot about these cars, i've worked on them for over 8 yrs..

Old 06-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: volvotechky

Do not touch it, its under warrenty for 10yrs 200k dont touch it leave it alone..
The Warranty only covers the throttle body being bad not the cleaning of the throttle body.

If the car is taken there only for the sticking idle the Dealer will sell a throttle cleaning.
Since when is it against Volvo's proceedures to clean the throttle body on a car?
Last I knew that is the first thing in the list of things before Volvo will just throw a throttle body on a car under the Warranty.

They will also check the engine vent system on the car. If it is quiestionable they will not replace the throttle body unless the vent system is serviced.

That is what alot of people don't understand about the warranty.

There is other things that need to be done before a new throttle body is just thrown on the car.

EDIT. There is also software that will be downloaded before the throttle body will be replaced.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 PM

Dude, i know about the ETMS, i deal with them daily. MY dealer we do not clean them, it specifically tells us not to in the TNN, the 155 is the "cure all" i agree with what your saying, but we are not suppose to. and sine the 155s came out, there has hardly been ANY replacments and no cleanings needed. I have a 99 S70, i have cleaned the TB in it. But i know if mine is bad ill stick a new one on it, even if it isnt truely bad, ill make it bad.. but as a customer who does not work on volvo's i would not touch it. Go complain of a surging idle, even with no codes they will check the ETM, if the dealer wishes to clean it they will..

Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Maybe thats just your Dealer.
Here in FLA. this is how they do it.
1.Clean throttle body (Make sure it is clean)
2.Check/service Vent system. (clogged system can set TB codes)
3.Download the Software upgrade.
4.If all else fails then replace the throttle body.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

The Warranty only covers the throttle body being bad not the cleaning of the throttle body.

If the car is taken there only for the sticking idle the Dealer will sell a throttle cleaning.
Since when is it against Volvo's proceedures to clean the throttle body on a car?
Last I knew that is the first thing in the list of things before Volvo will just throw a throttle body on a car under the Warranty.

They will also check the engine vent system on the car. If it is quiestionable they will not replace the throttle body unless the vent system is serviced.

That is what alot of people don't understand about the warranty.

There is other things that need to be done before a new throttle body is just thrown on the car.

EDIT. There is also software that will be downloaded before the throttle body will be replaced.
Exactly said

Old 06-22-2007, 08:38 AM

Well, first off, we, volvo techs Call it synthetic, because it is not regular ATF. in the owners manual it calls it synthetic, so that is our refrence, to the expensive flush's, As for the the ETMS, there is not one thing a service writer can tell me about that, i Am a tech , i see the TNNS and bullitens everyday, i have to follow procedures, therefore me knowing that the cleaning was taken out. there is also a test that a ETM HAS to fail in Vida before volvo will pay for it. but if you complain enough times, like some customers do. the dealer will replace the unit per volvo FTS.

And as for the engineers, i talked to my FTS who told me about this, and he gets it directly from sweden. not saying it wasnt misinterpreted.. i dont care who makes it, I also know that volvo doesnt make their own Trans's, i know alot about these cars, i've worked on them for over 8 yrs..

There is absolutely no statement in any Volvo owners manual that states the transmission fluid is synthetic!!! NONE. The owners manual clearly shows it to be JWS 3309 as the trans oil. It will list a Volvo part number ending in 640 or 540 for 5 speed auto trans. Newer models 05 and newer show the trans oil requirment to be just JWS 3309 with NO Volvo part number. All AW transmissions use JWS 3309 and there is ONLY one manufacturer of that oil presently and that is Mobil.

And what exactly is "regular" trans fluid now?
GM switched to Dexron VI, Ford as of June 21st quit offering Mercon as only Mercon V is now SOP. Chrysler uses +4. Honda has their own mix. And Toyota, Volvo and some Mazda's use JWS 3309. Do we call those "synthetic" because they are not regular? Obviously not. Myths and misinformation. Just deal with facts and Part numbers.

The TB cleaning is necessary and Volvo won't change out throttle bodies like changing out an air filter. It's very difficult to get them to do it. TB are cleaned all the time. Advising someone to just wait until you have problems and then expecting Volvo to drop in a new ETM is misguided.
The software update is a BS update that masks the fact the TB needs cleaning and is not operating properly. It's a highly contested bandaid fix well documented on other forums.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:39 PM

So i guess you know what the 155 does? let see, when the ETMS came out, we were replacing maybe 4 or 5 ETMS a week, that a shop of 6techs. now we replace maybe 1 a month, if that. We do not clean them. it is said not to..

And checking the Vent system is a must always when fault tracing alot of DTCs,
but we are told per FTS and TNN's to not clean the TB because the cleaner runs down in the electronics.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 AM
Administrator

So i guess you know what the 155 does? let see, when the ETMS came out, we were replacing maybe 4 or 5 ETMS a week, that a shop of 6techs. now we replace maybe 1 a month, if that. We do not clean them. it is said not to..

And checking the Vent system is a must always when fault tracing alot of DTCs,
but we are told per FTS and TNN's to not clean the TB because the cleaner runs down in the electronics.
The Recall 155 was due to a class action lawsuit started in California.
It was due to ETM failures and people getting hurt due to the failures.

One month after the recall was in affect the Desinger of the software was at our dealer inspecting cars himself.
Out of the 20 cars he inspected only one got a new throttle body.
The rest got a cleaning and the software.

I am currently not at the Dealer but still have access to anything I need from there.

When we send Customers there for the Recall they SELL a throttle cleaning first. If it needs a PCV service they will SELL that as well before installing the software or doing anything else. Almost all of the customers we send there never got a new ETM they only got the software upgrade and that fixed the car.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 AM

Volvo is screwing everyone with the TP body issue. Replacing them was costing too much, now they clean and "program". The probelm happens again, customer goes through limp mode, gets mad again, then Volvo has to call a regional rep to inspect and give ok for new TP body. They tried to make customer pay for new TP body and got slammed rather fast. So now they drag out time on providing a complete solution to the crappy design of the TP body. Also, volvo does not make any fluids, you have to do hardcore research to learn that you can buy the fluids from other vendors. Brand marketing. Customer Value = 4 out of 10 Ford is the parent company, I wonder how quality control is run....hmmmmmmmmmm

Old 10-18-2007, 09:24 PM

Hi,

I was just diagnosed with a dirty TB today (sounds like I've been hanging with the wrong crowd). How difficult (on a 1-10 scale) is replacing the TB gasket and cleaning the surfaces? I am a rookie when it comes to cars but I have an uncanny knack of eventually figuring out the issue. Any advice/steps to fix this problem (versus paying the dealer $150) is appreciated.

Brian

Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 PM

Zimmebri, what model/year? Is it NA or turbo?

Quick Reply: Throttle Body