Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

timing belt and brake pedal position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt and brake pedal position sensor

hi everyone,

2 questions:

1. this might be an obvious one but i've been searching the threads and i'm a little confused.

Everyone says the timing belt on an s60 should be changed at 160.000 KM
my volvo dealer said it has to be changed on 120.000KM on the non diesel engine

i have an 02 s60 2.4T AWD with 161.000 km on it.

previous owner said he replaced it but i had volvo look at it and they said: inconclusive.. the belt is a brigh yellow but does not show excessive wear and tear..
they said it could have been changed at 120.000km as it should and after 40.000km it can look like that.

should i be worried and change the belt?

2. the last readout at volvo came back with brake pedal position sensor error code.
after reading up on it people say it's bad as a lot of info goes through that senosor and it could even cause an engine stall.

right now there are no simptomps the car runs just fine and brakes normally.

only thing i've noticed was a hissing sound from the brake pedal like air being pushed out. it's especially noticeable when i push the pedal harder and then it has to come back up.

the pedal comes back up just fine but the hissing sounds of air being let out persists for seconds. if i just tap the pedal a little it stops.

does this mean anything and is this the famous/dangerous pedal sensor problem that could cause more problems than it should?

how expensive is this to replace?

thanks

Old 08-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sorry to say but the hiss sound is not the pedal position sensor It is the break booster. This is very common.Its not going to hinder the breaks so thecar is fine to drive. The booster is a break assist and the Hiss is the Vacuum leek.Its going to get louder and louder until it will sound as if u are letting the air from tire the entire time the car is running. The cost of a new booster is expensive but Cardone does sells refurbished ones. They are all over the web.The job is a PITA to do but can be done in a few hours with basic hand tools and a little know how..
Brake Booster Replacement - Volvo Forum : Volvo Forums
With the timing belt its not the Belt that goes it is the Belt Tensioner and Idler Pulley that fail.If these parts were not replaced then i would go ahead and do them. Changing the water pump at the same time makes sense for you as it runs off the timing belt and if it goes you will have to pay for the job twice.The pump is fairly cheep. GL

Last edited by MYS6T; 08-14-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by MYS6T
Im sorry to say but the hiss sound is not the pedal position sensor It is the break booster. This is very common.Its not going to hinder the breaks so thecar is fine to drive. The booster is a break assist and the Hiss is the Vacuum leek.Its going to get louder and louder until it will sound as if u are letting the air from tire the entire time the car is running. The cost of a new booster is expensive but Cardone does sells refurbished ones. They are all over the web.The job is a PITA to do but can be done in a few hours with basic hand tools and a little know how..
Brake Booster Replacement - Volvo Forum : Volvo Forums
With the timing belt its not the Belt that goes it is the Belt Tensioner and Idler Pulley that fail.If these parts were not replaced then i would go ahead and do them. Changing the water pump at the same time makes sense for you as it runs off the timing belt and if it goes you will have to pay for the job twice.The pump is fairly cheep. GL

good to hear the hissing sound won't affect anything other than my nerves i'll see how to go about that but it will go on the to do list.

so what's the right mileage when the timing belt should be done on a 2.4T?
dealer says it should have been done at 120.000 KM but i've heard 160.000KM

if it's 120.000 km then that should explain the wear on the timing belt since it now has 160k.
still.. is there any way of checking the Belt Tensioner and Idler Pulley were changed?

Old 09-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100,000 mile is what i was told and it seems to be the standard around the forums. As far as telling if the other parts were changed. No real way unless you can get under there and look at the parts with the Miles on you car they will have some wear on them. But if you still can not tell replace them. Better to be a little light in the pocket for the repair then out a car if it fails.
2002 Volvo S60 Parts | FCPEuro

Old 09-05-2011, 02:31 PM

yeah you're right it's best to be safe
still love the car so woudn't want to scarp it if it fails.

it's gonna set me back a little but it's worth the peace of mind.

thanks for the advice and all the help!