Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Timing Belt Broke at 47,000 Miles and 8 Days out of Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Broke at 47,000 Miles and 8 Days out of Warranty

Hello Everyone!

I have a quick story to share, and maybe ask a couple of questions at the end (we’ll see how this post turns out by the time I’m done writing it).

At any rate, my 2013 S60 T5 broke a timing belt at just 47,000 miles and only 8 days out of warranty. The full extent of the damage is yet to be determined, but my local dealer (Volvo Cars Tampa) quoted me $10,000 to replace the cylinder head assembly before having even looked at the bottom end. I immediately contacted Volvo North America’s Customer Relations department to seek goodwill assistance since the warranty had just expired and the car was 53,000 miles shy of 100,000 miles (the warranty’s terms were 7 years or 100,000 miles). Volvo agreed to cover half the cost of the cylinder head assembly solely, which would still leave me on the hook for $8,000-$9,000… Utterly unacceptable (especially when considering the fact that I still owe money on the car), so, I’ve asked them to reevaluate the case.

What is more, less than 3 years ago (or 10,000-12,000 miles ago), I took my car to Volvo Cars Tampa with complaints of unusual vibrations at idle and the occasional excruciatingly rough shut off. After examining the vehicle, the service advisor told me that the issue could not be diagnosed, and – in an unbelievable burst of insolence – added that “[they couldn't] just keep throwing parts at it,” even though, the car was still under full warranty at the time. They had most recently replaced the transmission (a tremendously laborious and long fight in its own right), and exhausted by the whole ordeal, I decided not to press the matter further. In retrospect, I should have.

Additionally, the car has been serviced exclusively by the aforementioned local dealer (religiously so), and has been so sparingly driven that I completed my 60,000-mile service last year at about 42,000 miles.

In any event, it’s been a very disheartening experience. After 15 years of driving just Volvo, I’ve become so disappointed with the brand and their dealers that I will never invest in another product of theirs. I do hope no one else here has had to deal with this exact scenario, but I would like to ask what to expect in terms of repair costs at a non-Volvo shop. I also wonder whether it is common for these engines to end up with damaged pistons and/or other components when the timing belt breaks. Really, I am open to any and all potentially helpful information (mechanical in nature or otherwise) as it would seem I’ve little recourse.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2020, 08:29 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Does Florida have a "Lemon Law?" If it does, you might have a good case.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

With the stuff I've seen goodwilled, I'm surprised they aren't goodwilling this entire repair.

This wouldn't be a lemon law issue though.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:23 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ES6T

This wouldn't be a lemon law issue though.
For this single issue, no, but given the history - "undiagnosable problem" + transmission failure - seems to be a pattern

Old 01-22-2020, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

A shame lemon laws don't work based on forum votes.

Old 02-08-2020, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lancia_037
Hello Everyone!

I have a quick story to share, and maybe ask a couple of questions at the end (we’ll see how this post turns out by the time I’m done writing it).

At any rate, my 2013 S60 T5 broke a timing belt at just 47,000 miles and only 8 days out of warranty. The full extent of the damage is yet to be determined, but my local dealer (Volvo Cars Tampa) quoted me $10,000 to replace the cylinder head assembly before having even looked at the bottom end. I immediately contacted Volvo North America’s Customer Relations department to seek goodwill assistance since the warranty had just expired and the car was 53,000 miles shy of 100,000 miles (the warranty’s terms were 7 years or 100,000 miles). Volvo agreed to cover half the cost of the cylinder head assembly solely, which would still leave me on the hook for $8,000-$9,000… Utterly unacceptable (especially when considering the fact that I still owe money on the car), so, I’ve asked them to reevaluate the case.

What is more, less than 3 years ago (or 10,000-12,000 miles ago), I took my car to Volvo Cars Tampa with complaints of unusual vibrations at idle and the occasional excruciatingly rough shut off. After examining the vehicle, the service advisor told me that the issue could not be diagnosed, and – in an unbelievable burst of insolence – added that “[they couldn't] just keep throwing parts at it,” even though, the car was still under full warranty at the time. They had most recently replaced the transmission (a tremendously laborious and long fight in its own right), and exhausted by the whole ordeal, I decided not to press the matter further. In retrospect, I should have.

Additionally, the car has been serviced exclusively by the aforementioned local dealer (religiously so), and has been so sparingly driven that I completed my 60,000-mile service last year at about 42,000 miles.

In any event, it’s been a very disheartening experience. After 15 years of driving just Volvo, I’ve become so disappointed with the brand and their dealers that I will never invest in another product of theirs. I do hope no one else here has had to deal with this exact scenario, but I would like to ask what to expect in terms of repair costs at a non-Volvo shop. I also wonder whether it is common for these engines to end up with damaged pistons and/or other components when the timing belt breaks. Really, I am open to any and all potentially helpful information (mechanical in nature or otherwise) as it would seem I’ve little recourse.

Thanks!
Well for what it is worth, I am a trial lawyer in Florida and I would never allow Volvo or the dealership to get off the hook. Just because the car is out of warranty does not mean volvo did not sell you a defective timing belt or that the dealer ignored the evidence of a defective belt when you brought the problems to its attention. To win the case, you would need a good mechanic to testify as an expert to support your theory of the case. But why should you be responsible if you followed the recommendations of Volvo and yet the Timing belt broke before 50% of its useful life expired? On the other hand, if you failed to maintain the vehicle according to guidelines or somehow mishandled it, Volvo would use that as a defense. The bottom line is that Volvo would need neither the cost nor the bad publicity generated by a lawsuit against it, so it may be worthwhile considering legal action. You can sue by yourself in summary claims court, but only up to $5000.00, so you would likely need a lawyer or at least a lawyer in the background telling you how to prepare the complaint by yourself. good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Gilles (02-22-2020)