Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Best place to get an extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:44 PM
bek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to get an extended warranty?

Can anyone recommend a good place? Reading about all these expensive repairs, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get one for my "new" high mileage C70. However, I had a dealer once tell me about service contracts, "Get the one that tells you what they DON'T cover and avoid the one that tells you what they DO cover." Looking at all these companies like Warranty Direct and Carchex, I just can't tell which one has the most comprehensive plan. Prices I'm seeing are ranging in the $1550-1650 range so far.

I'm thinking I'd like to get one that will at least cover the common problem items, like the door motors.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Brian

Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 AM
bek
Default "The Choice" or

Here is one of their sample contracts:

http://www.smartautowarranty.com/files_c/PP_2008.pdf

I'm thinking about taking it. The price is $1550, and I noticed it covers the window engine motors!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 AM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember: "Buyer Beware". "All that glitters is not gold".
Balance the price of theses warrantees against the cost of repairs. At what mileage will the warranty expire? A warantee will not pay for the costly 'maintenance' on a Volvo. If the timing belt breaks and the warantee company finds that you have no proof of when you replaced the belt..........will they decline the terribly expensive repair??

r.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
bek

I don't mind the maintenance... I intend to baby it. I just worry about the stuff people are saying about the window motors and timing belt breaking and destroying the engine. I figure if one door lock dies, that's $800 and about half of the cost of my warranty.

I had a service contract type thing before, and honestly, it wasn't great. The thing that worries me about my Volvo is that it's got 79850 miles and is crazy expensive to maintain. I am imaging stuff going wrong every few months and me dropping $1k an incident!! Yikes! lol

Old 05-08-2009, 01:40 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you will not have to worry about upper engine failure if you replace the timing belt on a regular scheduld. I have but 40g on my old 02 c-70 but since it is so old, I have changed the timing belt when the vehicle was 5 years old.............along with the accessory belt. I have the coolant changed out every two years along with the trans fluid. I change the brake fluid every year. Lastly, not every one has regulator issues. As a precaution, when my auto was 5 years old, I had the door panels removed and had the pullys, cables and other moving parts lubricated with motorcycle chain lube. I have not had any issues.

r.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:45 PM

I personally don't advocate extended warranties because that money would be better spent in a savings account collecting interest for when something actually (or rather if) breaks. Think about it, for the price of the extended warranty you could probably buy a whole new transmission or engine.