Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

I have a 2002 s60 2.4 T I just bought. It has 263,00 km on it. A couple of weeks ago I was driving and I guess I accelerated to fast fast and then it jerked and the service transmission light came on..i let it cool down and then it was ok...today I was in traffic and all the stop and go...the car would jerk trying to accelerate ..so I took it easy..then got on the highway and accelerated again to merge with the traffic and it jerked again and the transmission urgent light came on...ingot home..let it cool down again...tried e car again and got to the end of my lane way and it was like the car was in neutral...the. Would not go into reverse or drive..let it cool for a few minutes and the. Was slowly able to get back in my lane way..the tranny fluid is full...is it a computer thing? I disconnected the battery and will reconnect in a few hrs? Will that clear the problem...or do I need a tranny flush and computer upgrade? Is this common in these cars..I have had the car for three weeks.. I hope it's not a new transmission ...because I will scrap it..someone help me ..I can't afford big mechanic bills right now...

Old 07-16-2012, 02:49 AM
Default Transmission

So as per the Volvo dealership...my tranny is done....now I Need to get a quote on how much for a rebuilt one...looks pretty steep..anyhow I just got the car..I knew it had a lot of m
Km but still for Volvo I heard that wasn't much....oh well...what do ya do

Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd check around and try to find out if the PO knew the tranny was going out. Maybe a mechanic will slip up and tell you. Heck, call the dealer back and ask them to check the car's service records to see if they had recently told someone it needed a tranny. If so, contact the PO if that's who you purchased the car from and tell them to pay half or take the car back.

If they sold you the car knowing it had a bad tranny and you asked if it had any problems and they lied and said it didn't, you can likely sue them. MEAN PEOPLE SUCK!!!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 AM

I once saw a very good bumper sticker..... "Mean People Need Prozac!"....

Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 PM

I'm wondering what became of this car? I have a similar situation going on in a 2002 S-60....it's been doing the jerking tranny business; that is, going out of gear, the revs coming up, and then slamming into gear. This has been going on for about the last 3 years. Volvo dealer says there's nothing he can do except replace the trans. For the first time I've gotten the "service transmission" message on the dash. Looking for other owners with this issue.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:46 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not privy to S60s so I can only guesstimate.

The tranny might have been mfgd overseas with low quality parts. Or, someone might have allowed a small piece of FOD into the tranny fluid dipstick. Or, the tranny needed software upgrade in the ECU.

Check out the first recall on 2002 S60 before paying $CDN/$AUS/$NZ:

2002 Volvo S60 Recalls, Defects, & Problems

2002 VOLVO S60 Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, A COMBINATION OF THROTTLE POSITIONING SENSOR IRREGULARITIES, A DIRTY THROTTLE HOUSING, AND/OR INEFFICIENT SOFTWARE CALIBRATION MAY CAUSE A WARNING LAMP TO LIGHT AND THE SUBSEQUENT ONSET OF LIMP HOME MODES.
Defect Consequence:
THIS RESULTED IN A HIGH NUMBER OF VEHICLES GOING INTO THE LIMP HOME MODE WITHOUT NEED.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL THE CURRENT SOFTWARE UPGRADE ONTO THE INVOLVED VEHICLES. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 29, 2006.

This may/may not apply in your country, however.

JPN