Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Transmission is bumping

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission is bumping

I posted a few weeks ago, I thought my transmission was going out due to the fact that I was feeling intermittent bumps (like the transmission was shifting a little harder than normal) when I was driving. No messages, no check engine light.

I took the car to an independent shop and they ran it for codes and got nothing. We flushed the transmission.

Today I was driving to work and felt the same thing happening.

I think this is a by product of using the cruise control set to 64/65/66 mph. The reason I say that is because the law says that we can only drive 65 when it is night but 70 when it is daytime. When I am driving with hubby, and using the cruise control, it is usually daytime and we are going 70. By myself I will drive to work when it is dark (6:45 am) and set the cruise control to 64/65/66.

Today I was at 66 and felt the bumps so I took it down to 64 and waited and felt them. I couldnt go up to 70 because of the speed limit (and the fact that I cant afford another ticket on my record, yet )

Anyways, I'm hesitatnt to take it into the dealer because they already told me they didnt find any codes and everyone looked at me like I was the typical "freaking out over nothing" female driver.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I dont hear any sound it just feels like a bump, like the transmission is shifting a little harder than it should be.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 AM

I had a similar issue with my S60 and it turned out to be the motor mounts that were causing a slight angle with the transmission. I had the mounts replaced and the problem disappeared.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by orig_nautique
I had a similar issue with my S60 and it turned out to be the motor mounts that were causing a slight angle with the transmission. I had the mounts replaced and the problem disappeared.
When you were stopped at a stoplight or at high speeds?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:18 AM

year and miles?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by bender
year and miles?

Old 10-12-2009, 01:03 PM

yikes... if it is still happening after a flush i have real concern that this tranny is on the way out. "seeking" a gear is fairly common in 02s and usually means failure is on its way.

That said, try driving around for a few weeks with no cruise control on (be careful with your speed!) and see what happens. I doubt this is a cruise issue, but it could be.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bender
yikes... if it is still happening after a flush i have real concern that this tranny is on the way out. "seeking" a gear is fairly common in 02s and usually means failure is on its way.

That said, try driving around for a few weeks with no cruise control on (be careful with your speed!) and see what happens. I doubt this is a cruise issue, but it could be.
The real problem here is being able to tell when it is a real bump in the road or the transmission. So far I havent felt this happen in about 2 weeks, but I did feel it once after I got the transmission flushed.

So, if the transmission is seeking a gear you don't get any codes to reveal that there is an issue? I'm assuming that I will know when my transmission is on it's way out and needs to be replaced, right?

Old 10-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The response about the motor mounts warrants looking into. There was a thread on this a few months or more ago. In S60 and V70 they do wear and cause shifting problems according to that thread. And a knowledgeable mechanic can see if they are worn. Not a horribly expensive "fix" versus trans replacement, either, as I recall. I'll see if I can find it.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:28 AM

So, if the transmission is seeking a gear you don't get any codes to reveal that there is an issue? I'm assuming that I will know when my transmission is on it's way out and needs to be replaced, right?
Correct

that said the motor mount/transmission mount suggestion are good ones.

I think i misinterpreted what you were saying.

Does it feel like a CLUNK or a BUMP

Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bender
Correct

that said the motor mount/transmission mount suggestion are good ones.

I think i misinterpreted what you were saying.

Does it feel like a CLUNK or a BUMP
It feels as if the car is noticeably shifting harder than normal. Feels like a bump, almost like you hit a bump in the road BUT the only place you really feel is in your seat, the whole car does not react (as if you rode over the typical bump in the road) And, again, I haven't felt it in a few weeks, even tho I have been "looking" for it to happen.

One of my motor mounts was broken - the one that IIRC is mounted onto the wall opposite the dash. They replaced that and did mention that this could have caused the feeling. However, I never felt it when the car was stopping or starting after a stop. Only on a smooth road on the interstate while I was in cruise control.

Sucks that it seems there is nothing I can do, short of the flush, to head off a failing transmission.